What's the angle of your inlet?

Featured Posts

Sockets should aways face downs, So the plug will pull out the socket in the event of strain being placed on the cable ie someone stepping on the cable. Facing upwards the cable would either pull out exposing live wires or you break the socket,

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1514435.pdf

Yes, that's good reason to put them facing downwards; applies to equally to plugs, so maybe the BSS examiner was not right after all, and everyone has them the best (safest) way up.

... maybe the BSS examiner was not right after all, and everyone has them the best (safest) way up.

Nope. The BSS examiner was 100% correct and the inlet should be pointing down.

Tony

Seen two boat today with them, one each way.

One of them was wrong then ;)

Sockets should aways face downs, So the plug will pull out the socket in the event of strain being placed on the cable ie someone stepping on the cable. Facing upwards the cable would either pull out exposing live wires or you break the socket,

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1514435.pdf

Likewise, panel mounted plugs should point down for not only that reason but also to prevent them acting like a bucket whenever it rains.

I really can't understand why this isn't blindingly obvious to everyone.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

Is no body listening!

Mounting the inlet vertically is not the best idea no matter which way you have the pins

If the pins on the chassis mount are pointing down, water will ingress down the side of the male into the female.

If the pins on the chassis mount are pointing up, water will ingress through the gland into the female, however a simple cover will stop the male filling up when not in use.

Mounting the inlet horizontally stops both of the above.........

I've never understood why people tolerate those horrible protruding sockets, which are bound to face weather/rain, get banged into, catch your leg or knee, become a chew toy for the dog, etc

I've always preferred this type:

http://www.towsure.com/flush-fit-caravan-mains-electric-inlet

I can see the sense in installing so the socket is downwards to allow disconnection if forced, BUT really is someone going to stand on a taut lead to force its disconnection? Much more likely is the boat accidentally being left connected and driven away; or coming away from its moorings. So, the "pull" is much more likely to be a horizontal than a vertical one anyway.

Edited by Paul C

I think this is the sort of thing Tiggs is suggesting? It's designed to be recessed, which would be a pain on a boat. One of the websites I read suggested you should not install them on the front end of a caravan - I guess that's less of an issue for boats as we go rather slower.

059965_xlge.jpg

The type I mentioned and the quoted also have the advantage that the cover shields the plug/socket from rainwater when its connected, as well as of course much better shielding of the socket (boat part) when not in use and the cover clipped closed.

I had issues with the cover clips failing and eventually coming off, so went through a couple of them, but this was on a motorhome which typically did 70mph+, on a boat this would be a non issue.

Is no body listening!

Mounting the inlet vertically is not the best idea no matter which way you have the pins

If the pins on the chassis mount are pointing down, water will ingress down the side of the male into the female.

If the pins on the chassis mount are pointing up, water will ingress through the gland into the female, however a simple cover will stop the male filling up when not in use.

Mounting the inlet horizontally stops both of the above.........

^This