Help with gas fridge?

Ricco1

Featured Posts

The fridge in question is an Electrolux, I don't know the model number. It's small, beige front cover, gas or 12v. The burner unit is in the back left corner, the flame is behind a little window. The element inside the fridge is top right hand side. I think it's pretty old, I've seen them in old caravans. Hopefully that identifies it.

The problem I have is that while the flame itself is a reasonably clear blue it's not small and compact like it used to be. Above it is a trail or orange. This has affected the performance of the fridge, it's not as cold as it used to be. It certainly needs cleaning.

I've removed what looks like a heat shield from the back of the fridge to access the burner unit. The 'exhaust' slides over the top of the burner, held in place with a small screw. The problem I have is that when I undo this screw I'm unable to separate the exhaust from the burner. I can slide the burner up and down a little, and doing this repeatedly released quite a bit of gunk from the bottom of the burner. Seeing as the trail of orange above the flame is above the burner it's the bottom of the exhaust that needs cleaning out but I can't access it.

Does anyone know this fridge, any idea how I can separate the exhaust from the burner?

Thanks.

Bear in mind that orange flame means lots of Carbon Monoxide being produced. Be sure to address the orange flame issue as well as cleaning out the exhaust. Could just be an air blockage but are the other burners eg on the cooker etc all giving a good flame? If not it might be worth checking the gas pressure as regulators often go off correct pressure with age.

Yes, I know such fridges and the cause is usually fluff in the air inlet ports on the burner or rust from the flue in or on the burner. However I suspect that you are a livaboard and the gas pipe may well need disconnecting from the fridge so the only advice I can give is to contact a Gasafe engineer endorsed for LPG etc.

Yes, I know such fridges and the cause is usually fluff in the air inlet ports on the burner or rust from the flue in or on the burner. However I suspect that you are a livaboard and the gas pipe may well need disconnecting from the fridge so the only advice I can give is to contact a Gasafe engineer endorsed for LPG etc.

Although let's be clear, you don't need to be gas safe registered to work on your own boat liveaboard or not. You just need to be competent. A competent person will of course rigorously check for gas tightness after disturbing any connections, and ensure the boat is not going to be filled with CO.

Although let's be clear, you don't need to be gas safe registered to work on your own boat liveaboard or not. You just need to be competent. A competent person will of course rigorously check for gas tightness after disturbing any connections, and ensure the boat is not going to be filled with CO.

Note quite the case. The gas Bod must be GSR if he is to receive payment or reward for his work on a liveaboard.

The fridge in question is an Electrolux, I don't know the model number. It's small, beige front cover, gas or 12v. The burner unit is in the back left corner, the flame is behind a little window. The element inside the fridge is top right hand side. I think it's pretty old, I've seen them in old caravans. Hopefully that identifies it.

The problem I have is that while the flame itself is a reasonably clear blue it's not small and compact like it used to be. Above it is a trail or orange. This has affected the performance of the fridge, it's not as cold as it used to be. It certainly needs cleaning.

I've removed what looks like a heat shield from the back of the fridge to access the burner unit. The 'exhaust' slides over the top of the burner, held in place with a small screw. The problem I have is that when I undo this screw I'm unable to separate the exhaust from the burner. I can slide the burner up and down a little, and doing this repeatedly released quite a bit of gunk from the bottom of the burner. Seeing as the trail of orange above the flame is above the burner it's the bottom of the exhaust that needs cleaning out but I can't access it.

Does anyone know this fridge, any idea how I can separate the exhaust from the burner?

Thanks.

Sounds like the Electrolux 122 or 122E. Both are the same except the 122 has peaso ignition and the 122E has electronic ignition. They are quite easy to service. Turn off the gas at the isolation tap. You may be able to get to the burner unit by pulling the fridge forwards a bit without disconnecting the gas feed in pipe..

Remove the flame burner tin guard held on with 3 self tapping screws. Next undo and move the thermo-couple out of the way, remove the burner, held on with a little U shaped bracket and screw. Remove the angle socket from the top of the flue pipe and sweep the flue with a 3/4'' bristle flue brush or slide a rope up and down the full length of the flue. Tap out muck and clean the burner tube and flame slots. clean the jet by gently poking a bit of very thin wire in and out of it, a wire brush bristle usually fits them. Sweep or vacuum up all the dirt and soot from the flue pipe,

Reassemble making sure that the thermo-couple bulb is poised over a flame slot.

This servicing needs doing at least every two years.

Cheers. The problem I have is removing the burner. The u shaped bracket; does this connect the burner to the fridge body or the exhaust? I can move the burner up and down half an inch or so when I remove a grub screw at the bottom of the exhaust, but can't seem to slip the burner off the exhaust.

Cheers. The problem I have is removing the burner. The u shaped bracket; does this connect the burner to the fridge body or the exhaust? I can move the burner up and down half an inch or so when I remove a grub screw at the bottom of the exhaust, but can't seem to slip the burner off the exhaust.

The burner is the short horizontal tube with the flame slots on it, it slips onto the gas jet tube. It is not connected to the exhaust flue, it just sits beneath it so that the flames heat and exhaust up the flue pipe which passes through the heat exchanger.

Thanks I've probably got the terminology wrong! There's a little tin box where the gas burns, it's got a window in the front of it so you can see the flame. Above this is the exhaust flue. The problem is that I can't seem to remove the exhaust flue from the tin box. I've removed the little grub screw that secures one to the other and while this enables me to move the tin box up and down a little, I can't separate them. Do I need some force maybe?

Thanks I've probably got the terminology wrong! There's a little tin box where the gas burns, it's got a window in the front of it so you can see the flame. Above this is the exhaust flue. The problem is that I can't seem to remove the exhaust flue from the tin box. I've removed the little grub screw that secures one to the other and while this enables me to move the tin box up and down a little, I can't separate them. Do I need some force maybe?

Don't even try! It is the bit that does the work and is filled with refrigerant I'd have thought. It isn't designed to be removed. Why would you want to?

The tin box flame guard with the window in it has to come off, its held on with 3 screws, nothing to do with the flue pipe which passes through the middle of and is integral with the refrigerant heat exchanger.Once off you will see the flame burner and thermo-couple.

Although this work is on the safe side of things I don't think you should be doing it Ricco.

Bizz puts it better than I did.

Also, when I say don't do it you don't seem competent, people sometimes assume I'm just saying it out of trade 'protectionism'. Well I'm not, I don't 'do' boat gas work on a professional basis. I'm LPG qualified so I can mend all domestic gas boilers. Boat qualification is an easy 'add-on' given I'm already in college doing the exams!

Bizz puts it better than I did.

Also, when I say don't do it you don't seem competent, people sometimes assume I'm just saying it out of trade 'protectionism'. Well I'm not, I don't 'do' boat gas work on a professional basis. I'm LPG qualified so I can mend all domestic gas boilers. Boat qualification is an easy 'add-on' given I'm already in college doing the exams!

That's it Mike. As we know this work is on the safe side of things, but Ricco's obvious impracticalness could mean he might disturb or undo stuff on the what could be dangerous incoming gas side of things.

That's it Mike. As we know this work is on the safe side of things, but Ricco's obvious impracticalness could mean he might disturb or undo stuff on the what could be dangerous incoming gas side of things.

Hmmm I'm a quick learner and so I know (coz MtB once told me!) that CO poisoning is just as "unsafe" as gas leaks.

Anyway to check for the latter you just need a box of matches. Simples. To check for the former you need a canary, much harder.

Hmmm I'm a quick learner and so I know (coz MtB once told me!) that CO poisoning is just as "unsafe" as gas leaks.

Anyway to check for the latter you just need a box of matches. Simples. To check for the former you need a canary, much harder.

Or a human being. Easier than a canary...

Thanks for the replies.

It's true, I'm no gas engineer! I do like to have a go at things though. Otherwise, every little job on a boat means calling out an expert at ££'s an hour. And that's if you can find someone suitably qualified.