Bow Locks or Limehouse

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

I am proposing taking the boat down to the Medway from the Lea at the end of May.

St Pancras appear to use Bow Locks for their Medway expeditions which seems the more obvious route being shorter but I have been told this is badly silted and going out via Limehouse will be less problematic and take no longer. What does the team think?

Limehouse will mean punching the tide for 2-3 hours round Greenwich to get to the barrier just before HT

Bow means punching the tide down bow creek for about an hour to get to the barrier.

I wouldn't consider doing it from Limehouse and have always gone from Bow, Limehouse is at least 2hrs longer

Edited by Loddon

I am proposing taking the boat down to the Medway from the Lea at the end of May.

St Pancras appear to use Bow Locks for their Medway expeditions which seems the more obvious route being shorter but I have been told this is badly silted and going out via Limehouse will be less problematic and take no longer. What does the team think?

Have never had/seen a problem with silting of Bow Creek

Tim

The confusion may be that Bow Creek pretty much dries out at low water (I think that must be what "Creek" means). Around HW there is no problem, as others have noted.

I'm involved in organising the May trip to the Medway (brilliant trip to Medway VTS on Saturday!). Do send me a PM if you want to get in touch.