Day hire boats

Timx

Featured Posts

I once helped a confused day boat crew from Norbury Junction, attempting to wind at High Onn. Boy, was that boat crap to steer! No wonder they couldn't make it 'work'. Full rudder put a total block on the prop wash to all directions at once!

The drunks though, they can now be 'done' for being in charge of a drunken boat, can't they?

They always could.

It's not "drunk" as in drink driving (that bit of the Raiways and Transport Safety Act 2003 hasn't (yet) been enabled), but there various bits of legislation that would apply. I'm more familiar with Scots law, but I assume there is an equivalent of Drunk and Incapable, Drunk in charge of a carriage, etc, etc,in Englandshire? If all else fails, the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 Sec. 58 could probably be forced into service.(Shoesmiths would be good for this !!!)

e.t.a. or, of course, Canal Bye Laws!

Edited by Iain_S

I ran a day boat for a couple of years. I'd say that around 90% of the hirers were responsible, listened to the instructions, had little or no alcohol on them and were a delight to serve. The other 10% invariably turned up late, were under 35 years old and had cases of alcohol with them. To be fair the majority of these hirers didn't have any accidents but that was just look, they could easily have. What can you do?

They always could.

It's not "drunk" as in drink driving (that bit of the Raiways and Transport Safety Act 2003 hasn't (yet) been enabled), but there various bits of legislation that would apply. I'm more familiar with Scots law, but I assume there is an equivalent of Drunk and Incapable, Drunk in charge of a carriage, etc, etc,in Englandshire? If all else fails, the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 Sec. 58 could probably be forced into service.(Shoesmiths would be good for this !!!)

e.t.a. or, of course, Canal Bye Laws!

I think in stead of a white line to walk down they use the gang plank, if you drown your innocent and if you live your guilty, or was that witches?

Seen loads of day boats on the Wey. Not one had been anything but enthusiastic and a credit to waterways. Bizzarly the only drunken one I've seen was a party of women who made a lewd remark which made me blush - bless em. :)

Ha mine was late Aug 15 day boat hire for a few days Sept 15 went out and bought a boat. It was a great experience.

Similar, if a bit more drawn out before finally taking the plunge (so to speak) very quickly (in about 4 weeks) at the end...

2010 day boat

Early October 2011 1 week hire

Early July 2015 midweek hire

Early August 2015 bought a 45' narrowboat

Very expensive outcome from the 2015 midweek hire but still glad we did it.