Closing up gaps in moorings so you can moor up

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Moving to a decent signal area is constantly on my mind up here, but we're off on our annual Continuous Cruise (!) in a week or so. Then we'll be ok.

Hmm, Atomic Rooster. Not sure what they sound like either!

(I'm a Pink Floyd/Led Zeppelin/Genesis vintage)

Fill yer boots... Here's atomic Rooster on the telly in 1971 - Note who is on drums!

Atomic Rooster, Cream etc are the bands that hatched the bunch you mention.

Edit to correct a glaring date error. And to add, it's a shame we never see/hear rock bands with Hammond Organ in the line-up any more. In fact Deep Purple are the last I can think of!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Fill yer boots... Here's atomic Rooster on the telly in 1971 - Note who is on drums!

Edit to correct a glaring date error. And to add, it's a shame we never see/hear rock bands with Hammond Organ in the line-up any more. In fact Deep Purple are the last I can think of!

I was going to say - if it had been 1972 (as I think you first suggested), my then housemate Steve Boulton would have been the guitarist. Is the drummer Carl Palmer, as in Emerson, Lake And...? If so the programme must have been pre-recorded as he had left at the end of 1970. I'm unsure when Chris Farlowe joined as lead singer, it must have been soon after this.

I saw the Groundhogs only as a backing band: I was in Pathway studio in Islington when they backed blues singer Billy Boy Arnold who was recording an L.P. there. McPhee was on hot form at that time, unlike the time I saw him as a solo acoustic act at a blues festival in the '90s, when he was "untogether" as hippies used to say. I remember the Billy Boy album fondly, as it was the first one that I ever wrote the liner notes for.

Does Rick Wakeman count as a rock band? He still plays organ, amongst a myriad of other keyboards.

• Greenie 1

I was going to say - if it had been 1972 (as I think you first suggested), my then housemate Steve Boulton would have been the guitarist. Is the drummer Carl Palmer, as in Emerson, Lake And...? If so the programme must have been pre-recorded as he had left at the end of 1970. I'm unsure when Chris Farlowe joined as lead singer, it must have been soon after this.

I saw the Groundhogs only as a backing band: I was in Pathway studio in Islington when they backed blues singer Billy Boy Arnold who was recording an L.P. there. McPhee was on hot form at that time, unlike the time I saw him as a solo acoustic act at a blues festival in the '90s, when he was "untogether" as hippies used to say. I remember the Billy Boy album fondly, as it was the first one that I ever wrote the liner notes for.

Does Rick Wakeman count as a rock band? He still plays organ, amongst a myriad of other keyboards.

Yes greenie for getting Carl Palmer right.

Not sure I've ever seen Rick Wakeman playing a proper Hammond (y'know, with valves rather than transistors never mind ICs,) and Leslie speakers (y'know, the four speakers mounted on a vertical spindle and rotated by an electric motor to give that classic Hammond sound, rather like phasing).

Look at it from the other side of the coin. I am fed up cruising mile after mille past boats moored100 yards apart. Sorry but I don't slow down for you. Then there is the 'popular' spot. Share the rings, Share the bollards. I shouldn't have to ask you to move. Be considerate.

It's considerate to slow down past every boat even if they are on their own. Have you never had your pins pulled out by a speeding boater? Anyway, what's the rush?

• Greenie 2

Not sure I've ever seen Rick Wakeman playing a proper Hammond (y'know, with valves rather than transistors never mind ICs,) and Leslie speakers (y'know, the four speakers mounted on a vertical spindle and rotated by an electric motor to give that classic Hammond sound, rather like phasing).

Yes, I know what one is! When I saw him (at Cropredy) he was surrounded by banks of keyboards, one of which sounded like an organ, I wasn't close enough to inspect them. Steve Winwood (whom I also saw at Cropredy) still plays a proper Hammond ore something which looks and sounds like one.

I give you a name to conjure with: Wynder K. Frog.

My crap internet here isn't letting me download that, Mike. I'm not just ignoring you!

There was a huge resurgence of interest in Hammond organs in the early 90s, Clint Boon played one along with the equally interesting Farfisa organ, as did Nick Coombes as occasional member of Supergrass in their live incarnation, The Charlatans remain largely Hammond-driven through originally Rob Collins and subsequently, Tony Rogers. Doug Oates aka Jim Moray occasionally plays one live, but tends to rely on it being recorded and looped for performance, in fairness, they're horribly temperamental when faced with a soggy field.

As for being moved, I have no problem with it at all, but I am mystified by the need to moor in rows together in obscure places too.

Edited by wrigglefingers

I saw the Hogs several times at the Roundhouse in Dagenham......Brilliant! I've just Youtubed them and am listening to "Hogwash"as I type. Forty-Five years gone by.......Bloody Nora!!

Wow! The Roundhouse. End of Lodge Ave and the 162 bus route.

Used to go there when I was a kid, ie 14ish and thinking fizzy Double Diamond was good beer.

Saw Family, Stackridge and other bands there. It was on a circuit and Led Zep, Free, Pink Floyd etc played there on a saturday night.

I was never interested in Zep but now wish I gone, just to say I'd seen 'em. I remember thinking 25 bob was extortionate to see Pink Floyd!

I also wish I'd seen Free.

Vinegar Joe played there. Anyone remember them? I'd have loved to have seen them. A young Elkie Brooks and Robert Palmer in the same band...........wow!