Trent from Beeston to Cranfleet

baldlimey

Featured Posts

We are thinking of making our first trip Friday. Is there anyone near Beeston who could let us know the level and state of the Trent please.

Thanks

Peter

It's fine, . . . a bit under a foot above normal Summer level, and it's wet and cold.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

As long as it dont rain too much between then and now you should be ok, I have always found that part of the trent hard going when going up especially when you get nearer the lock as the weir is quite wide.

As long as it dont rain too much between then and now you should be ok, I have always found that part of the trent hard going when going up especially when you get nearer the lock as the weir is quite wide.

. . . . . . ? ? ? . . . huh.png

I once made the mistake of not keeping over far enough to the left as we approached Beeston lock. This was despite the signs that clearly said to do so.

The pull towards the weir was pretty strong as a result and we pretty much just cleared the end of the lock landing on the correct side. I made a mental note for future reference. I don't know if the flow was particularly fast at the time but there was a definite tendency to be drawn towards it.

I once made the mistake of not keeping over far enough to the left as we approached Beeston lock. This was despite the signs that clearly said to do so.

The pull towards the weir was pretty strong as a result and we pretty much just cleared the end of the lock landing on the correct side. I made a mental note for future reference. I don't know if the flow was particularly fast at the time but there was a definite tendency to be drawn towards it.

The river current there behaves in a very similar way to what it does going downriver into Stoke Lock Cut, where there was an incident a week or two ago with a boat ending up over the weir.

Travelling downriver the current turns away from and leaves the portside bank, cutting very sharply across the bullnose towards the weir, almost at right angles, and much more strongly than it does at Holme, Gunthorpe, Hazleford and Cromwell.

The river current there behaves in a very similar way to what it does going downriver into Stoke Lock Cut, where there was an incident a week or two ago with a boat ending up over the weir.

Travelling downriver the current turns away from and leaves the portside bank, cutting very sharply across the bullnose towards the weir, almost at right angles, and much more strongly than it does at Holme, Gunthorpe, Hazleford and Cromwell.

The rate at which we started to move towards the weir definitely increased the closer we got to the 'bullnose' as you call it. It needed a fair bit of throttle to ensure we cleared the end and didn't end up on the boom.

The heart rate did marginally increase in line with the engine revs too.

The rate at which we started to move towards the weir definitely increased the closer we got to the 'bullnose' as you call it. It needed a fair bit of throttle to ensure we cleared the end and didn't end up on the boom.

The heart rate did marginally increase in line with the engine revs too.

You are probably more suited to caravaning? You should give it a try.

Tim

• Greenie 1

There was a time you could almost guarantee seeing a caravan wreck somewhere on the M1

Richard

Indeed - we are headed to Cornwall this week and the M5 is another route you can virtually guarantee seeing one on it's side with the contents spilt all over the road.

Hopefully we wont be one of them.

This website might help give an idea but this reading is taken a bit downstream from Beeston...

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2217

The river level info. on there is from the EA recorder near Clifton Bridge, and is in the stretch of river that's kept as near as possible to normal level by regulating the flow at Colwick Sluices. Relying on levels from this gauge can fool boaters into believing that flooding is less severe than it really is.

Travelling downriver, I would suggest the best way for pleasure craft to assess whether it's safe for them to continue down to Beeston from Cranfleet Lock is to count the crossbeams showing on the bottom gates. If the river is above the top edge of the fifth crossbeam down, then they would be best staying put above the lock.

I'm hoping to do this stretch myself either this weekend or next week, It will be my first run on a River so liking this advice, keep it coming.

I've got my anchor (with chain and rope) and life jackets (mine and the pets) ready just in-case. help.gif

We came up from Beeston to Cranfleet last Saturday with no problem. There is a warning board at Beeston that was in the red but we ignored that and below Cranfleet the boards were showing green! The current quickens around Thrumpston (where the signs tell you to keep right) but a couple of hundred more revs did the trick.

Thrumpton weir

Yes, I realized that you were referring to Thrumpton Weir, rather than Beeston, but the width of any weir doesn't affect the current speed downriver of it.

The only factor which does affect current speed is the ratio of the volume of water passing a given point to the cross-section and profile of the river bed at that point.

The width, or more correctly the length of a weir cill or crest, affects only the depth of water on the weir crest/cill for a given volume of flow.