Battery charger switching off immediately

swift1894

Featured Posts

Whisper 6, 8 and 10 models with only one, as in the case of my Lombardini engined variant.

This would be unusually

The generators with a higher outputs have at least two some times three capacitors

I have never seen a unit such as a 6,8 or 10 with only one capacitor

The use of a light to stabilise the output voltage is common to all small generators not just Mastervolt

Keith

Keith, can I ask if the additional capacitors fed a single exciter winding or individually supplied multiple windings? All the schematics I've seen show just one capacitor coupled to one winding as with the Whisper 6000 on my previous boat.

I'm talking about the 2 pole 3000 rpm brushless versions BTW.

I wonder if the root cause of the discussed high output voltage is down to this. If so suggest dropping capacitor value by 5µF.

Capacitors are normally 15µF, 22µF, 33µF and ± 20% tolerance. I'd be very surprised if the values were that critical.

Edited by nigelmercier

Capacitors are normally 15µF, 22µF, 33µF and ± 20% tolerance. I'd be very surprised if the values were that critical.

Of the top of my head I could not remember all of the capacitors values so I had to look in the van.

2,4,20,25,30,31.5,35,40 and 45 and the tolerance is only plus or minus 5%

​When capacitors are changed it is critical as to what values are used

I hope the above helps

Keith

My small cheap genny starts at 300v with no load but add a small lamp and it comes into much better regulation. See whether a mains 60 or 100w lamp (real one not led!) will cause the voltage to sag enough to get the charger working. At least you then get a full charge before you start to tinker with warranties etc.

Tried the lamp idea but no joy. 25 microfarad capacitors ordered, fingers crossed.

The generators with a higher outputs have at least two some times three capacitors

I have never seen a unit such as a 6,8 or 10 with only one capacitor

Keith

Strangely enough I've seen a Mastervolt 10 kW with 3 capacitors BUT 2 were 30 microfarads and 1 was a 25 microfarads all wired to the same pos and neg.

Tried the lamp idea but no joy. 25 microfarad capacitors ordered, fingers crossed.

I had an issue with a Eumenia washing machine stopping and producing fault code occasionally when on Mastervolt genny. Switching on the 1.2kW immersion with a cold calorifier so it remained on for the w/m cycle, always solved the problem.

Point I'm making is that a light bulb won't load the genny adequately. Something worth bearing in mind although I would try the lesser value capacitors first.

I had an issue with a Eumenia washing machine stopping and producing fault code occasionally when on Mastervolt genny. Switching on the 1.2kW immersion with a cold calorifier so it remained on for the w/m cycle, always solved the problem.

Point I'm making is that a light bulb won't load the genny adequately. Something worth bearing in mind although I would try the lesser value capacitors first.

25 microfarads capacitors fitted. Voltage down to 241v (was 265v with 30 microfarads).

All looks well but still no joy with battery charger.

When I switch it on all 5 orange lights flash on momentarily then the bulk light stays on but there is no charge registering on the Mastervolt MICC.

Maybe it just packed in due to old age (15 years) by coincidence.........although there's obviously some life in it.

Strangely enough I've seen a Mastervolt 10 kW with 3 capacitors BUT 2 were 30 microfarads and 1 was a 25 microfarads all wired to the same pos and neg.

Forgot to mention, my friend's 10kw genny also has a small capacitor(?) wired in parallel with the 2 X 30s and the single 25.

It's half the length and diameter of the others and has 2 printed on it with an inconvenient blob of paint where I presume the microfarad symbol should be. It doesn't have any male terminals just a cable permanently attached.

The question is........is it a capacitor?

25 microfarads capacitors fitted. Voltage down to 241v (was 265v with 30 microfarads).

All looks well but still no joy with battery charger.

When I switch it on all 5 orange lights flash on momentarily then the bulk light stays on but there is no charge registering on the Mastervolt MICC.

Maybe it just packed in due to old age (15 years) by coincidence.........although there's obviously some life in it.

Ok try again with a constant load on genny - as suggested maybe a 1kW or thereabouts heater - make sure its not switching off/on with thermostat though. Then try turning on Mastervolt charger, assuming it still works fine on shore power.

Edited by by'eck

A steady resistive load of 10% of he generator's capacity should bring it into a region of acceptable regulation without incurring huge fuel costs, if it doesn't then something else is wrong. Loads like heaters or tungsten lamps are good for this purpose.

Better generators have better regulation and bigger price tags!

Was the new AC voltage measure with or with out a load

If it was measured with out a load repeat the test using a around 1 Kw Load

Also what is the frequency?

This sounds very much like self protection

Keith

Does the charger work on a shoreline?

If the charger is kaput you could open it up and check the 400v input caps to see if they've bulged.

265v RMS would give 375v peak so a short term increase from there would overvolt them.

Edited by smileypete

Keith

Will do.

But how do I check the frequency....... It should be 50hz but I've only got a multimeter.

If the charger is kaput you could open it up and check the 400v input caps to see if they've bulged.

265v RMS would give 375v peak so a short term increase from there would overvolt them.

Can't get on a shoreline at present.

I'll check the capacitors.

Thanks both.

Edited by swift1894

Will do.

But how do I check the frequency....... It should be 50hz but I've only got a multimeter.

Can't get on a shoreline at present.

I'll check the capacitors.

Thanks both.

Many have an AC frequency range. Maybe you could borrow one that has. Frequency is measured under load and adjusted if necessary via the engine governor - usually involves adjusting locknuts on a threaded rod.

• Greenie 1

I have tried to keep up here, but have gone slightly dizzy after reading some of the utter wizardry that is going on. And I mean WIZARDRY.

Me, I'd have been down the battery charger shop and got me a new one.

Utter respect, guys.

Checked capacitors and they looked OK (no bulges)

Keith

Put immersion heater on (1 kW) and got 238v.

Hi

Where are you moored at the moment

I am on the road a fair bit may be able to call in and have a look for you if that would help?

Keith

Thanks for the offer but it's packed up and on its way to my friends at Mastervolt.