Stoke Bruerne £25 per day after two days

Gwydion

Featured Posts

Many people love a challenge. It appears to be CRT who don't want the challenge, since they have waived or refunded many who have been charged rather than taking them to court.

The Llangollen example was merely used as one end of the "spectrum" of different levels of service/facility a visitor mooring might offer, from rings + decent banking + electricity; through rings (only); to nothing (over and above the usual towpath)

Sorry but I think the point you boys keep missing is that we ARE already paying for these facilities. I can't believe you can't see

I can see that I was replying to the question of is a mooring a facility. I personally believe that if push came to shove and a court had to decide if CRT had the right to charge then I think they would find in their favour.

You are extrapolating from my post if you think either I don't know it can be believed that the mooring is already paid for or that I think they should be paid for.

Equally I could say the point you are missing is that CRT can if they wish charge for the facilities quite legally (IMO).

Many people love a challenge. It appears to be CRT who don't want the challenge, since they have waived or refunded many who have been charged rather than taking them to court.

The Llangollen example was merely used as one end of the "spectrum" of different levels of service/facility a visitor mooring might offer, from rings + decent banking + electricity; through rings (only); to nothing (over and above the usual towpath)

I just want to play by sensible and fair rules. £25 charge for overstaying what is legally free could be regarded as a scam. If you want to defend that then that is your choice of course.

There is an FOI request about this on whatdotheyknow.com

It seems that CaRT are relying on the 1962 transport act that allows then to charge for "facilities and services" .

Is a visitor mooring a facility ?

It is in Llangollen, they charge I think £5 a night on the towpath, They also charge for winter moorings on the towpath, so yes visitor moorings are a chargeable facility

I just want to play by sensible and fair rules. £25 charge for overstaying what is legally free could be regarded as a scam. If you want to defend that then that is your choice of course.

If you look back a few posts you'll clearly see that I don't hold a view one way or another on the issue of whether a fairly average visitor mooring is distinct enough in what it provides, to be classed as a service or facility according to the 1962 Act. Llangollen is an exception but a good starting point in a reasoned debate on the topic.

The £25 amount - I have no idwa where they got that from. Probably plucked a figure out of the air. Even if CRT did 'win' the point that they can legally charge, they'd be obliged to show that the figure was proportionate. I personally believe its not. Any amount over the proportionate charge would be judged as a fine, for which they require additional legislation to impose.

I know the £25 figure has existed for years, well before the current attempt to make it stick. I received an overstaying ticket ( the only one I've ever had ) something like ten years ago, that claimed the figure of £25. I lit the fire with it, and never heard anymore about it. The mooring warden who I knew personally told me he had to give it out, but just ignore it.