Aqua line leak

Timx

Featured Posts

Try putting grease in. What have you got to lose. Could save a lot of cash. You will need grease after a new seal unit is fitted anyway for ongoing maintenance.

Hi, I got up early and did as you said, there was a couple of small tubes of silicon grease on board, which I squirted in a little bit, as best I could, left it for five minutes whilst I retrieved the nut which I dropped into the wet bay, not sure how much goes in, but it didn't make any difference, so carried on with the plan and boat was slipped at noon. The slip was a hundred so took it as an opportunity to black it 6 months early as well, and then the slippage is included in the price, so have to pay engineer a couple of hours work plus the part, just hope it all works.

To finish the story, and for future reference to anybody, shaft seal; and delivery £72, labour £70, intertuff blacking repaint £433, vat %20 £115,, skint but happy and on way again, they seemed nice helpful people and had friendly service. Thanks for comments by everyone, will dry bilge out somehow only a couple of inches in parts where the boat leans, no drip from prop now , so apart from rain on a semi trad, all being well should stay dry.

Are we using the same type of silicone grease? Mine is too thick to squeeze it out of a syringe - I tried it (and no, there was no needle! :P ). I know there are some thinner types of silicone grease in a tube with a nozzle, but for a water lubricated gland you want the thick stuff.

This is the type I use.

Plumba SILICONE grease.

Edited wrong image on clipboard

post-481-0-61826300-1457388029.jpg

Plumba.

Edited by valrene9600

Glad your sorted and it was the seal, not just the hose after doing all that.

Thank you, I have to go on trust and he seemed cool, and it costs what it costs ,i knew I needed some money flow to get out of jail, just in case, so I am happy till next time ..!!

Engineer left me a little tube, same as I already had, and told me to give it a squirt once a year .!!

I have found the Vetus unit to need lube a little more often than that, but of course it depends on the boat usage. I generally used to put a bit in at engine oil change.

Glad you got sorted.

Edited by Guest