Honda EU20i - hard to start, runs very slow

Richard10002

Featured Posts

After all I've said about my Honda EU20i genny never missing a beat, I came to start it today and it wouldnt start at all with the choke on, and eventually started, but ran very slowly, with the choke off. Once running at this very slow, (hunting??), speed, if I turned the choke on gradually, it stopped.

Plenty of oil, plenty of fuel in the tank, cleaned and checked the spark plug gap - still the same.

I think something similar happened a couple of years ago and a new spark plug fixed it so Ive ordered 2 new spark plugs which should be with me for wednesday, but wondering if it could be something else simple to check and fix... or could the carb be blocked a bit?

It wouldnt be the end of the world if it had to go to a Honda dealer for a service after 4 years plus.

Sounds like it is running over-fuelled.

Reasons for this could insufficient air getting in or too much fuel getting in ...

Insufficient air could be down to a blocked air filter ( or even a damp or wet paper filter element) - try removing the air filter

Too much fuel could be because of a too-high float chamber fuel level due to a sticking float chamber valve, either from a particle stuck in the valve or deposits from old fuel

(U/L fuel starts going off after around a month). If the fuel is not fresh I would start by replacing that, using premium unleaded and dosing with a fuel additive for preserving fuel - there are several but I use the Archoil range which for fuel stabilisation is AR6200

Hope that inspires some ideas,

Nick

If I know it's not going to be run for more than a couple of weeks I always switch my generator off by turning off the fuel tap and letting it run out of fuel. The idea is that it reduces the possibility of gum or deposits building up in the carb.

But you should isolate/disconnect the generator from the boat before you do this as the engine revs and output will fluctuate as it runs out of fuel.

I use Briggs & Stratton fuel stabiliser.

I'd also check the air filter and give it a clean or replace it. Perhaps drain the carb float bowl and that might get rid of any dirt. That's easy to do with the carb in situ. Stripping and cleaning the carb is more of a hassle. Check you're getting a decent spark with a new plug before touching the carb.

Edited by blackrose

Last used last Sunday, ran for several hours. I removed both the air filters and nothing changed. Fuel is generally cycled fortnightly. I'll get some premium fuel, wait till I get a new plug, and see what happens on Thursday.

If it doesnt work I'll have a look at the carb float bowl, (wherever that is ), but if i need to be stripping the carb, I think it'll be off to somewhere for a service - any suggestions for a service near Manchester, (Stretford)?

Thanks for the pointers so far.

Changed the spark plug, started it up, and it still ran slowly. Left it running for a few minutes, it gave a bit of a splutter, then started running properly.

Connected to the boat, started the charger, and all seems fine... fingers crossed!

Perhaps a tiny foreign body in the fuel system, which worked it's way out...

I'll get some premium fuel, and see how things go.

Anything I should still be thinking/worrying about?