Smartguage web site

Theo

Featured Posts

One of the anxieties that I have is that Gibbo will decide that his site has run its course and he will pull the plug. Yesterday, at GoodGurl's suggestion, I found a bit of software that allows the downloading of complete sites, and saved the whole lot to my computer and thence to DropBox.

Should your spirits be depressed by the same concern please feel free to use this link to download the site to your own machine.

GoodGurl said:

Hi Theo,

Thanks for that it works brill xx if you are going to share it in the forum just tell them to click on the blue download button at the top, that downloads everything, saves doing it file by file.

which I felt was a useful bit of advice.

Nick

Yes Nick, I did similar a couple of years back, but GG's link is a neat way of accomplishing it.

Hah!

I hereby record that I wish to be accorded the credit for this. It's my link!

captain.gif

Nick

This may cover it.

Acts that are allowed

Fair dealing is a term used to describe acts which are permitted to a certain degree without infringing the work, these acts are:

• Private and research study purposes.
  • Performance, copies or lending for educational purposes.
  • Criticism and news reporting.
  • Incidental inclusion.
  • Copies and lending by librarians.
  • Format shifting or back up of a work you own for personal use.
  • Caricature, parody or pastiche.
  • Acts for the purposes of royal commissions, statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and parliamentary purposes.
  • Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as time shifting.
  • Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program.
Edited by bottle

This may cover it.

Acts that are allowed

Fair dealing is a term used to describe acts which are permitted to a certain degree without infringing the work, these acts are:

• Private and research study purposes.
  • Performance, copies or lending for educational purposes.
  • Criticism and news reporting.
  • Incidental inclusion.
  • Copies and lending by librarians.
  • Format shifting or back up of a work you own for personal use.
  • Caricature, parody or pastiche.
  • Acts for the purposes of royal commissions, statutory enquiries, judicial proceedings and parliamentary purposes.
  • Recording of broadcasts for the purposes of listening to or viewing at a more convenient time, this is known as time shifting.
  • Producing a back up copy for personal use of a computer program.

That'll do for me.

I wouldn't like to use the 6th reason though. Gibbo would come and get me!

N

+1

Thanks for the invisible greenies. I suppose that we are not allowed them because it could lead to bribery and corruption.

N

Since the contents of the SG site are copyright, has anybody sought Gibbo's permission?

"Web site and all contents Copyright SmartGauge Electronics 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009. All rights reserved."

I don't see a problem if you are hosting it on your own PC for your own use. As covered by Keith.

However if you were distributing and sharing it that would be different (so the drop box thing might be an issue if it was publicly accessible from there).

IMO That resource is sufficiently significant that it should remain available even if Gibbo doesn't find the need to continue to support it. Perhaps the forum owners/staff could acquire the rights to host and publish a copy of it.

added; meaning an authorised copy!

Edited by Arthur Brown

Yes Nick, I did similar a couple of years back, but GG's link is a neat way of accomplishing it.

It wasn't my link, i just found the easiest way to download it all.

Hah!

I hereby record that I wish to be accorded the credit for this. It's my link!

captain.gif

Nick

It IS indeed Theo's work, well done that man :clapping:

Just a hint for those who don't know: When you have the files downloaded to your computer you need to look in the folder and find the one called "index". Double click on this and the site will appear in your web browser.

NIck