It's a different world here in the Fens.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Not totally true, it depends on tides, hence why they pump to make room for it.

We got caught out in 2011, pumps at St Germans going like the clappers meant no water at Marmonts, the Nene was on SSA and the pumping was an effort to easy the situation, we had to leave the boats at Floods Ferry as we couldn't get off the levels at Stanground.

My info was straight from Tina.

I wonder how the water gets to the Middle Level? The by-wash at Ashline isn't capable of flood flows. Maybe is goes over the weir at Horsey Toll and down Pig-water? It would have to be pumped through Bevills Leam pumps or come through Lode's End in that case. I'm sure they open the sluices by Stanground and send it down Morton's Leam and onto the Nene washes, but they ultimately drain through Wishbech, I think.

Moderately high levels on the Nene used to close Stanground because of the footbridge over the lock, but that's been moved below the bottom gates now.

MP.

I wonder how the water gets to the Middle Level?

Good question. It's not going to run down off the hills, is it? There are numerous field drains which empty into the rivers (I've seen the chaps on the dredging operation checking and maintaining them over the last couple of weeks) but there must be other sources.

Good question. It's not going to run down off the hills, is it? There are numerous field drains which empty into the rivers (I've seen the chaps on the dredging operation checking and maintaining them over the last couple of weeks) but there must be other sources.

My rhetorical question was really about how Nene flood water would be fed into the Middle Level, but more generally, I think most of the water pumped out at Wiggenhall has landed at rain on the Middle level area. Water flowing from the North is intercepted by the Nene, and water flowing from the South (Lark, Wissey etc) is intercepted by the Ouse and Bedford rivers. There are some water courses flowing into the ML from the high ground in the West, beyond the railway and A1. They are mostly intercepted by a catchwater drain and come down past Woodwalton nature reserve, so that in times of flood the flow can be diverted into the reserve, which has a secondary function as flood storage.

MP.

Bit disappointing, thought the title meant one of you had just spotted those new fangled motor cars around there and mourning the fact things will never be the same:-)

We have lots of cars round here, but a significant minority of them end up in the bottom of the waterways!

MP.

My rhetorical question was really about how Nene flood water would be fed into the Middle Level, but more generally, I think most of the water pumped out at Wiggenhall has landed at rain on the Middle level area. Water flowing from the North is intercepted by the Nene, and water flowing from the South (Lark, Wissey etc) is intercepted by the Ouse and Bedford rivers. There are some water courses flowing into the ML from the high ground in the West, beyond the railway and A1. They are mostly intercepted by a catchwater drain and come down past Woodwalton nature reserve, so that in times of flood the flow can be diverted into the reserve, which has a secondary function as flood storage.

MP.

We have lots of cars round here, but a significant minority of them end up in the bottom of the waterways!

MP.

That's true, there is a garage over Ramsey way that has a wall covered in pix of vehicle recoveries from the drains/rivers, the father handles the winch gear while the son dons Scuba gear to secure straps and strops etc etc.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I wonder how the water gets to the Middle Level? The by-wash at Ashline isn't capable of flood flows. Maybe is goes over the weir at Horsey Toll and down Pig-water? It would have to be pumped through Bevills Leam pumps or come through Lode's End in that case. I'm sure they open the sluices by Stanground and send it down Morton's Leam and onto the Nene washes, but they ultimately drain through Wishbech, I think.

Moderately high levels on the Nene used to close Stanground because of the footbridge over the lock, but that's been moved below the bottom gates now.

MP.

Last time I was at Stanground I commented to Tina on the new concrete wall just above the lock, which sticks about 9 inches about ground level. I said it looked a bit tiddly. She said it goes down about 18 feet ....