old boat need blacking and i need advice

big d

Featured Posts

hi all and thanks already for the wealth of knowledge that I've taken away fro this forum.

Ive just got my bill of sale on my 40ft narrow boat and am going through the list of things the survey brought up.

Currently she is epoxy coated and surveyor stated could do with being redone soon, not urgent.

my question is this, ive had variying quotes for work to be done From £1000 TO £2.5K for 2pk epoxy to be done.

does epoxy need to be blasted back to be recoated?

some of the quotes say that winter no good to do as temperature means wont go off, is it worth waiting till spring/summer?

ive been told about COFLEX as an alternative, its comparable on price so what is the difference, pros cons?

basically have epoxy and want to know if I would be shooting myself by using something else, epoxy seems to be highly thought off?

any tips advice opinions welcome,

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

if, it is not urgent, the surveyor may have just meant is needs refurbishing.

Perhaps, you might ask him to clarify the condition a bit more precisely?

Epoxy is incredibly tough and long lasting, assuming it was applied properly in the first place.

Generally, it is only necessary to repair those parts that may have been worn thorough or have become detached, for whatever reason.

Just blasting the whole lot off, for no good reason, may be a complete waste of money.

I hope this helps.

Regards Tim

Had my boat shot blasted in 2008 and two packed it myself, 3 coats. In 2014 had it out again jet washed off, rubbed it down with a palm sander and reapplied two coats of two pack. Easy peesy. Don’t forget to do the weed hatch, easy to overlook.

Edit to correct year.

Edited by F DRAYKE

All epoxies will have a minimum curing temperature. The stuff on our hull is rated down to +10 C. Even at this temperature, the epoxy will cure a lot slower than it would if it were warmer.

Applying in winter, you will have to wait until the hull has got up to the minimum temperature in the morning before applying. And some days it may never get there of course, so you can't do any painting at all. Then you will have to wait a long time - probably overnight - before applying the next coat.

So probably better done in the summer if not essential to do it right now.

For anyone desperately needing to apply epoxy in the winter there are some types adapted for curing at lower temperatures.

We've got an epoxy Black on our hull, it's great. However, I don't overcoat with epoxy as it needs a very good key. So, we dock every three years and overcoat with Intertuf16. It doesn't react with the epoxy, goes on well and keeps us smart and black. Any abrasions are wire wheeled back and intertuf applied to the bare steel. Touching up with epoxy seems silly as you will never key the area well enough without blasting. I've been doing this on our boat for 10 years now and have never had any problems, last survey came back just as good as the first one.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all thanks for advice, I've heard back from surveyor and my epoxy is in good nick just needs touch up on a few scratches. So hopfully I'm fine till the summer then can touch up the work that's there.

"Currently she is epoxy coated and surveyor stated could do with being redone soon, not urgent."

So in writing, your surveyor uses words which suggest you need to spend several thousands of pounds in the near future, ("redone soon"), but verbally it merely has a few scratches and could do with touching up.... A serious example of CYA, which could have resulted in your deciding not to buy, or trying to renegotiate to a point where the deal failed, or similar.