Husbands Bosworth G.U. Leicester Line - New shop opened

Joe the plumber

Featured Posts

Anyone who moors near Husbands Bosworth will be pleased to note that a new branch of Springfields grocery stores has recently opened. It's similar to but larger than the one in Welford, and is next to the existing Post Office (which I hear is due to move into the new shop at some point) on the main Lutterworth to Market Harborough road, diagonally opposite The Bell Inn.

They have a good selection of food, wine, beer, newspapers and general groceries, and are open seven days a week:

http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/husbandsbosworth/springfieldssupermarkets.html

Incidentally, if you're using the Welford branch, try the 'Joseph Morris of South Kilworth' big sausage rolls they sell, especially if you can warm them up. They're absolutely lovely.

I hope this is of interest.

Didn't seem that far!! Bridges 37 or 40....

icecream.gif

Indeed, it's a lovely walk. Sorry, I thought you meant walking there from Husbands Bosworth (still a nice one, but somewhat longer!)

As to mooring at HB, we tried to but failed late in September last year. There's really nothing south of the tunnel (North Kilworth side) and north of it, the towpath side of the canal is very shallow and the (very high) towpath itself is a quagmire (as Dogless says), so we reluctantly gave up and went to Foxton instead.

The folks in HB are missing a trick as we fully intended to spend the night there and use The Bell Inn, but we couldn't. If I was them, I'd lobby C&RT for some help to improve matters as it's a nice village, well worth a visit and they're losing canal trade at present.

The folks in HB are missing a trick as we fully intended to spend the night there and use The Bell Inn, but we couldn't. If I was them, I'd lobby C&RT for some help to improve matters as it's a nice village, well worth a visit and they're losing canal trade at present.

We couldn't agree more. We did moor once about a mile from the tunnel and walked back. It's another lovely little village and worth the effort. However the last time we tried to do this, the towpath was so bad we had to abandon the idea and return to the boat. It's a real shame. I'm sure the village would get quite a bit of passing business.

Rog

Excellent points about HB. The environs either side of the tunnel are dank, dark and probably the least welcoming anywhere on the summit. We did stop once, several years ago but it was hard work to moor. Year before last a boat had moored near the tunnel (north) and got stranded. Eventually, with some help from us and another boat, they freed themselves but it has put me off trying to visit HB again.