Ice at Braunston?

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

Tomorrow, (Wednesday)I need to move my boat which is at the bottom of Braunston locks at the moment. I don't want to drive 80 miles only to find it iced in.

Is anyone in the area able to tell me if the canal is clear of ice along the puddle banks, please? Thanks

Unless you really have to move it then I would leave it where it is.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcr1m90gd#?fcTime=145316160

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcr1st9vg#?fcTime=1453248000

The two nearest places according to the Met office, it will be below freezing from about 6 o'clock tonight and not get above until about mid-day tomorrow, so any ice will not be melting-till late afternoon.

We're moored by the Stop House.

About a quarter inch of ice today, but has thawed and been broken up as the day wore on.

It's going to freeze again tonight so I'd expect a similar situation tomorrow.

This being Braunston, there will always be boats on the move.

If you DON'T wish to break ice I'd leave it until Friday.

If you don't mind breaking a little ice, you'll be fine.

Rog

PS Don't hit the green boat by the Stop House please :)

Rog

Just moored up having broken ice between Brauston and nearly Napton Junction.

Although I could put my foot through the ice easily at Braunston, the ice is 2-3 cm thick once we got outside the village. Quite hard going in places.

In hindsight I would have waited until Friday but it was good fun and got a few nice waves (or were they w****r signs?!)

:)

A bit further south - there is a fair covering of ice at Three Locks - even in the lock pounds, and I expect there's some thicker ice out in the countryside. Nothing moving by midday today - but it made for an excuse to get the camera out.

DSC_6188_zps6oxss31q.jpg

Edited by Cleyley Bob

Intrigued to know. Did the ice put you off or were there other complications. Sorry but just being nosey.

Rog

I've just had my engine rebuilt and was going to take it for a short shake down cruise. I decided that adding reblacking to the (already large) bill would be a bit over the top, so I ran the engine up while the boat was still moored. I did have a walk along to your boat at about 1 o'clock to say thank you for the info, but there didn't seem to be anyone in. Thanks anyway.

Quick update. The canal is frozen this morning and it's a bit foggy. If it's the same as yesterday it should be breaking up by midday. I'm on nb Mr. Bunbury moored outside the marina - give me a shout if you need a hand.

I've just found this post today. I walked past your boat yesterday, and noticed someone was aboard. The Mr Bunbury name rang a bell. I wondered if I'd read the name on here, or I seen the boat on my travels.

I decided against going out, as the ice was thick and I was concerned for my blacking! Thanks very much for the offer of help, anyway.

I've just had my engine rebuilt and was going to take it for a short shake down cruise. I decided that adding reblacking to the (already large) bill would be a bit over the top, so I ran the engine up while the boat was still moored. I did have a walk along to your boat at about 1 o'clock to say thank you for the info, but there didn't seem to be anyone in. Thanks anyway.

Hope the engine work was to your satisfaction. Thanks for the update.

Rog