King Canute

keif's mate

Featured Posts

It would seem that King Canute is alive and well, or if not there are people who wish to emulate him! See:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/welney_causeway_at_centre_of_mps_meeting_to_discuss_how_to_prevent_flooding_1_4378854

Possible if you elevate the road like the high level bit of the M4. Costly and certainly not pretty. Or I suppose a monster pumping scheme could be devised. Again costly but a spendthrift use of energy, hardly very Green!

Designed by Vermuyden to act as washlands or a flood plain around 1630 It has been flooding as designed to for a long time now!

Known as the Welney Washes; they're extensive but there's only a bit in the middle of the trip through which gets really deep. We went through it the other day and most of the road was dry but for about 200 yards it was a few inches under water. A railway line goes through there on a low bridge, and the views are spectacular, as for a while all you can see is water on both sides of the track.

Edited by Athy

Politicians acting like silly Cnuts, who would have thought it.

Nb that is not a typo, but you can be sure I double checked my spelling had not been auto corrected to a more frequently used bit of Anglo Saxon!

How else does one spell "silly"?

The first comment on the article says it all I reckon.

"I lived in Welney for most of my childhood a good 13 years the Welney wash was designed to flood the road too. You lived in Welney this was part of your life. Has been like this for hundreds of years. Why is it necessary to do something about it? If you don't like it then move elsewhere. I get the 20 mile trip around is a pain in the butt, but that's what you get for living there never caused us any problems we had a land rover so we could get through when it weren't too high if we wanted to. Just a gross waste of tax payers money raising the road, it is unnecessary."

The first comment on the article says it all I reckon.

Just a gross waste of tax payers money raising the road, it is unnecessary."

I suspect it could cause more problems than it solves as the water held behind a raised road will have to flow away somewhere causing a stronger flow for longer.