The whole network - how long to do it?

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

I am rather surprised nobody has suggested the variant which involves visiting every waterside pub as well..

There is a similar variant of the tube race: http://www.thecirclelinepubcrawl.co.uk/

(yes I know circle line trains don't go round in circles any more)

A mate of my dads tried that theory in the IOM on the TT course, I seem to recall he was finished by Ginger Hall :) Edited by gazza

Thanks for all the thoughts, and hopefully it's inspired others!

I have no plan as yet, and the number one criteria is that I should enjoy my boating - so I'll probably end up doing most of the system but perhaps not all of it, particularly where it starts to get questionable. I want to do the middle level and the Ouse but if the old and new Bedford Rivers are too much hassle or just don't fit the plan then so be it. I'm also not going to put anyone's nose out of joint, so no creeping through SSSI's in the dead of night hoping the ecologists don't spot me ;)

I don't feel the need to do both locks where they are paired either, or go back to flood locks if I went through on the level first time, there are limits judge.gif

Been following with great interest........I have clocked of a few hundred miles of the system and although I never have thought about going everywhere, there is still a lot more I want to visit (this coming year it will be the Gt Ouse and Middle Levels and hopefully a bit more)

If it helps with planning, I did the following route at a comfortable pace single-handed in 6 months, sometimes stopping for several days up to a week and some 12 hour days cruising.

Lancaster - LLangollen - Birmingham - London (via GU) - Nottingham (via Thames)- Keadby (via Trent) - Liverpool (via L&L) - Lancaster. There's still a lot more to do though with some of the bigger ones being the Middle Levels, K&A, Rochdale and Huddersfield.