What are Typical Cross Bed mattress sizes?

Featured Posts

Sorry for bombarding at the moment - we're just trying to finalize layouts before placing the order...

I'm told we HAVE to have a cross bed - so neither of us has to be under the gunwale. Are there "off the peg" matresses available 4 ft square and 4ft by 2ft whatever?

I realise more folk probably want a 5 ft wide bed - hence they have the cross bed, but space is rapidly running out (and we're on diets anyway ) angry.png so I'm trying to convince us 4ft wide by the width of the boat will be fine.

I wouldn't have thought you'd buy a split cross-bed mattress off the shelf. We have two identical half mattresses approx 3' x 4'6" which stack on top of each other during the day. They came with the boat so I don't know their source. There are no labels on them but they are good quality. I regularly see Whalin Upholstery advertising made to measure spring or foam mattresses at the back of the waterway mags.

If you're tall then make sure bed base height + mattress still leaves enough room for feet/head to be under the gunwale otherwise you'll have a very short bed!

Mr. Sider, have a look at Edwardian Bedding, who made our split cross-bed mattress. It is 4'6" wide, 6'3" long (I think) and hinges up one third/two thirds so you can get past the bed during the day without taking the bedding off. As you say, it's not certain that these are available off the peg, but they'll certainly make one for you.

I bought a memory foam mattress and cut it up with a breadknife to fit the 4' width of the crossbed, and cut most of the way through to make a hinge where the bottom folds up.

Neither of our heads have to be under the gunwale, nor toes- those sit against a toasty warm radiator!

Our crossbed is made from 2x 2'4" singles so is 4'8" wide x width of the boat a nice compromise between 4ft6" and 5ft

Being short at 5'9" I have a block of foam behind my pillows to prevent me pushing my head under the gunwale.

Mr. Sider, have a look at Edwardian Bedding, who made our split cross-bed mattress. It is 4'6" wide, 6'3" long (I think) and hinges up one third/two thirds so you can get past the bed during the day without taking the bedding off. As you say, it's not certain that these are available off the peg, but they'll certainly make one for you.

Thanks for that - Mexborough is nice and local too.

I spoke with the Edwardian folk and as a ball park, for a 4'6" by 4' and 4'6" by 2'3" - "hinged" ...allow up to £600 quid which doesnt seem so bad either and so I've allowed for enough space between the robes now.

Thanks fellas.