stove glass self adhesive rope

paulstoke1975

Featured Posts

I don't know your stove, but I can't imagine that many stoves used on boats have class that fits into a metal surrounde that is anything vaguely approaching 25mm / 1 inch wide.

Ones I have dealt with the overlap is more like a third or quarter of the width of this particular tape.

Paul I did my dads Stovax door and glass seal 4 weeks ago, I used the 2 meter 6mm rope kit from Amazon and this was perfect for both door channels and door Glass.

I bought this kit x 2

It comes with the Sealant compound.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OOO4XOW/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit on the original doors it does look like the flat 10 mm you've shown but the above 6mm flattens put just perfect.

Edited by GreyLady

Paul I did my dads Stovax door and glass seal 4 weeks ago, I used the 2 meter 6mm rope kit from Amazon and this was perfect for both door channels and door Glass.

I bought this kit x 2

Edit on the original doors it does look like the flat 10 mm you've shown but the above 6mm flattens put just perfect.

when you say door channels what do you mean? my glass just has one band of rope around the door that the glass surface presses up against ..

When we bought a new glass for our Boatman a few weeks ago at Midland Chandlers they offered us some silicone tape to fit the glass with, saying the glass could crack otherwise.

But, the original glass was set into a bed of fire cement and that is how I've always installed the replacements, four or five now, without problems.

So, tape?

when you say door channels what do you mean? my glass just has one band of rope around the door that the glass surface presses up against ..

If you look where your door closes Paul you should find a dirty black seal that use to be white I will post a couple of pictures before 12pm tomorrow afternoon.

The hardest part of the job is getting the glass tab screws out, I managed to undo the two top screws and then slide the glass out.

The two bottom screw had to be heated up with a mini blow torch pen and penetrating oil to get them out.

The bottom ash door also has a rope seal.

When we bought a new glass for our Boatman a few weeks ago at Midland Chandlers they offered us some silicone tape to fit the glass with, saying the glass could crack otherwise.

But, the original glass was set into a bed of fire cement and that is how I've always installed the replacements, four or five now, without problems.

So, tape?

That's what I removed from a Stovax Stove that's never had any work done to it from new.

I guess people have different ways.

Edited by GreyLady

So, tape?

Haven't you answered your own question though, if you have replaced four or five times that suggests that method does not work so well perhaps?

Haven't you answered your own question though, if you have replaced four or five times that suggests that method does not work so well perhaps?

Not really. I should have added that I've never had a cracked glass. I replace it because Jeannette likes a pristine clean glass at the beginning of winter.

I bought this kit x 2

ive just ordered this thanks

Paul as promised a picture of our Stovax after I re-roped door and glass with 6mm rope.

Midland Chandlers recommended removing the inner core of that fire rope. Did YOU do that, GL? Dunno how important it is though. Don't worry, if it works!

Midland Chandlers recommended removing the inner core of that fire rope. Did YOU do that, GL? Dunno how important it is though. Don't worry, if it works!

No i didn't Loafer, the centre core removal tool was out of stock so I got my dad to reverse over the rope with his steam roller a couple of times instead. :-/ hehe

I still don't know if your being serious. :-)

It's done the job though.

Edited by GreyLady

No i didn't Loafer, the centre core removal tool was out of stock so I got my dad to reverse over the rope with his steam roller a couple of times instead. :-/ hehe

I still don't know if your being serious. :-)

It's done the job though.

Ha ha! Nice one GL.

I WAS serious, it's just the pokey-out bit that's in the centre of the rope when you cut it! Just pull that, and peel back the outer 'sheath' (Can't believe I just said that!)

The result is a much flatter fireproof gasket.

Ha ha! Nice one GL.

I WAS serious, it's just the pokey-out bit that's in the centre of the rope when you cut it! Just pull that, and peel back the outer 'sheath' (Can't believe I just said that!)

The result is a much flatter fireproof gasket.

Thanks Loafer I will remember that next time.

Hehe - outer sheath :-)

Thanks Loafer I will remember that next time.

Hehe - outer sheath :-)

Hehe!

If your door closes ok, it's no issue. My stove door would definitely not close if I used that rope with the core still in.

Unless you have different rope.

LOVED the core extraction tool thing!

Edited by Loafer

Hehe!

If your door closes ok, it's no issue. My stove door would definitely not close if I used that rope with the core still in.

Unless you have different rope.

LOVED the core extraction tool thing!

You know Loafer when I researched which size of rope it said 8 mm which I bought and it was tight when closing the door so I refited 6mm instead, so what you say makes perfect sense now. :-)

Cheers Loafer :-)

It's good to have a laugh.

Edited by GreyLady

You know Loafer when I researched which size of rope it said 8 mm which I bought and it was tight when closing the door so I refited 6mm instead, so what you say makes perfect sense now. :-)

Cheers Loafer :-)

It's good to have a laugh.

Oh aye, indeed it is!