Craftmaster or Masons paint?

Slim

Featured Posts

You're brilliant biz, love your posts!

I painted my boat with what was essentially craft master and felt happy with the result and use of it at the time. However, I was demonstrating laying off to someone who was using Mason's and found it dramatically 'smoother' if you can use such a word?

Re the long-term benefit of either I couldn't say, as both boats are not yet two years old.

You're brilliant biz, love your posts!

I painted my boat with what was essentially craft master and felt happy with the result and use of it at the time. However, I was demonstrating laying off to someone who was using Mason's and found it dramatically 'smoother' if you can use such a word?

Re the long-term benefit of either I couldn't say, as both boats are not yet two years old.

What do you mean by "essentially Craftmaster" ?

Do you mean another brand of paint that happens to be made in the same factory (HMG)?

Is this not like saying a "Ka" is essentially a "Mondeo"?

To be fair though, I think Phil has always said that he had Craftmaster blended to suit his own particular style of painting and that some others might find it harder to work with.

From my own fairly amateur attempts at painting I always feel that I should be adding an additive to Craftmaster, but International goes on straight from the tin. Have just purchased some PPA so will investigate this next year.

................Dave

The paint I was referring to was mixed by Bailey's Paints, with it's own label. I was led to believe that it was essentially CraftMaster, but with their own label? Who knows?

I still found Masons' smoother, as it were, but generally happy with the paint I used! :)

Not so happy that I'd ever look forward to painting a 70ft narrowboat ever again. Though I no doubt will of course!

2 pack can be formulated and supplied specifically for brushing. I'm not sure where this myth of it can be only applied using a gun has come from.

We put ours on with a roller... (Hides)

I've experimented with several paints and found the very worst to be Midland's own brand.

It may not all be the same, but we had a tin of their yellow about 8 years ago, really not very over whelmed at all. We have a tin international toplac waiting to do the coachlines this spring. Main colour is Leighs paints, the red lasts about 6-7 years before going pinkish, and is repainted on the eighth year.

Very durable, but never hard or high gloss. Not to everyone's tastes but stops rust like a demon!

http://www.leighspaintsonline.co.uk/resistex-c137v2-two-pack-acrylic-urethane-gloss-finish---grp-1-colours-69-p.asp

Daniel

The paint I was referring to was mixed by Bailey's Paints, with it's own label. I was led to believe that it was essentially CraftMaster, but with their own label? Who knows?

I still found Masons' smoother, as it were, but generally happy with the paint I used! smile.png

Not so happy that I'd ever look forward to painting a 70ft narrowboat ever again. Though I no doubt will of course!

Well thats the price we pay for owning 70 footers, that extra 13 foot is a big lot when its time to do any cleaning or painting.

However, when we used to do our blacking (before 2 pack) I always felt that more than half the effort went into the front and back, and just slapping stuff on the sides was relatively quick.

I reckon there is a whole new industry springing up from small paint suppliers who say "its actually Craftmaster with a different label", Did the man himself not even say that one of them even sells a "PPA" not realising that it stands for Phils Paint Additive?

........................Dave

I reckon there is a whole new industry springing up from small #### suppliers who say "its actually ###### with a different label".

I have edited the quote thus allowing it to apply to 50% of all items sold online, by word of mouth, market traders, etc.

Daniel

Hi I'm New in here so hello..

I use craft master when I paint. Goes off like iron. Problem is so many painters have different preferred techniques. So if your used to painting with one paint it takes a bit of practise when you switch paints. So many factors to consider how the paint flows to how much additive to add to air tempreture etc etc.

As someone has mentioned above if the job isn't to scratch they then have the excuse of saying we'll I don't use this paint. Could be no issue at all but if you are paying big money for a paint job then I'd be inclined to use a painter who only represents and reccomends one brand of paint.

Hope this of use to you

Has anyone pointed out that Masons is owned by Akzo Nobel who also own International and ICI Paints.

Personally having been talked into using Masons on the boat I would not bother with it again.

Just make sure any colour you choose matches a RAL or BS number and is not a "house" colour. That way you can get a close match made up at any trade paint outlet that mixes oil based paints (allowing for the inevitable fade of the old paint).