12v tv's that support MKV

emlclcy

Featured Posts

Is anyone knowledgeable about the MKV format used to store movies in on a usb hard drive that would plug into a tv?

I'd like to find a 12v/24v tv that supports this.

I've asked Avtex but go reply as yet. Does anyone have an Avtex tv?

I don't own a telly, but store the films I have in MKV format and keep them on caddy drives. When I do have access to a telly, the caddies are plugged into a laptop. Then, use the HDMI lead, from laptop to the TV. Works fine, if you can't find the direct solution you're looking for.

Even if you find one that plays mkvs it may well struggle with some mkv files. Higgs's suggestion of playing via a laptop and HDMI connection is a good one. VLC is a piece of media playing software that plays a very wide variety of files and is highly reliable in my experience, likely more so than most TV media players.

Forgot to mention that I use Zoom Player. It's free and enables the easy resizing of films, as they're playing. Some record and play smaller than the full screen. Others, the older ones, are not widescreen, but can be adjusted to fill the screen.

Edited by Higgs

I don't own a telly, but store the films I have in MKV format and keep them on caddy drives. When I do have access to a telly, the caddies are plugged into a laptop. Then, use the HDMI lead, from laptop to the TV. Works fine, if you can't find the direct solution you're looking for.

I'm trying to reduce power consumption and my pç gobbles it up! I haven't got a TV yet hence the post.

Cheers for the advice tho

just a thought but I have recently been playing with a Raspberry Pi (which, if you didn't know, is a small educational computer on a board, costing less than £40). It has the sort of chip found in high-end mobile phones and as such is capable of playing videos via the HDMI port. Apparently it does support MKV format. It uses little power and in fact I recently have been powering one from the USB port of the TV that I was using as a monitor, so less than 5 watts. The pi 2 has 4 usb ports so keyboard, mouse and at least one remaining for a memory stick.

The only downside is that its operating system is based on Linux which is based on Unix and therefore rather strange if you are used to Windows.

Edited by nicknorman

just a thought but I have recently been playing with a Raspberry Pi (which, if you didn't know, is a small educational computer on a board, costing less than £40). It has the sort of chip found in high-end mobile phones and as such is capable of playing videos via the HDMI port. Apparently it does support MKV format. It uses little power and in fact I recently have been powering one from the USB port of the TV that I was using as a monitor, so less than 5 watts. The pi 2 has 4 usb ports so keyboard, mouse and at least one remaining for a memory stick.

The only downside is that its operating system is based on Linux which is based on Unix and therefore rather strange if you are used to Windows.

If you install one of the available media players on the Raspberry Pi it simplifies media playback and gives a graphical frontend. I was using XBMC on mine.

if you have an android phone (I'm using a samsung galaxy s4) you can connect from that straight to the hdmi port on the tv and play just about anything.

I usually put a load of unwatched stuff on my phones memory card before going away (handy for boring nights when there's nothing on tv or no signal)