Burning tanalised timber

blackrose

Featured Posts

This winter I decided to try to save some money as I have access to big sacks of wood offcuts for a pound each, so I'm burning this instead of coal. So far this autumn I've only spent about a tenner.

But there's usually quite a lot of tanalised timber in amongst the offcuts and I've found it doesn't burn as well - the fire needs to be much hotter to burn it so it's no good as kindling.

Are my empirical observations actually borne out by the facts, or am I just imagining it? No doubt someone will tell me that the chemicals in the wood are giving me cancer!

Edited by blackrose

Personally, I wouldn't burn tanalised timber.

"Tanalised" is a bit of a general term, and can refer to different treatment processes, but I can't see how it can ever be better for you, your stove, your flue or the environment than burning seasoned, untreated timber. As much as anything else, the whole point of tanalising is to prevent wood from seasoning.

quote from https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uk.rec.gardening/sexa7FIsOs4

Tanalising uses a substance called CCA which is Copper , Chromium and
Arsenic.
This is fine in dry conditions, but in the wet the chemicals can leach out,
and
the arsenic can be transferred to the hands simply from touching the timber.
Children in particular are prone to use their hands for eating without
washing
them first, and can get arsenic poisoning as a result. Food plants grown
near
to tanalised decking can accumulate sufficient chromium to cause the
symptoms
of heavy metal poisoning in anyone eating the produce.

An example is cited of a family in the antipodes who used offcuts of
tanalised
timber on their barbecue, the cooked meat killed their dog and resulted in
prolonged hospitalisation of the entire family.

I thought tanalising was to preserve the timber and delay rotting. Surely seasoning is merely drying out the timber. Have I been wrong all these years.

With wood, seasoning and rotting are two words which describe the same thing. I personally wouldn't burn chemically treated timber, if other folks would then good luck and may the Lord's blessing go with them.

I thought tanalising was to preserve the timber and delay rotting. Surely seasoning is merely drying out the timber. Have I been wrong all these years.

Your correct

With wood, seasoning and rotting are two words which describe the same thing. I personally wouldn't burn chemically treated timber, if other folks would then good luck and may the Lord's blessing go with them.

Seasoning and rotting are completely different things, seasoning if done correctly suspends the rotting/decay process

Sorry but I can't see that. My mate who is a cabinet maker seasons his wood before use but he certainly doesn't use rotted wood. The occasional piece of spalted wood but certainly no rotted.

Timber being seasoned is protected from the elements which would cause rotting (lifted off the ground , well ventilated so non of it stays damp too long in better air seasoning there is often a roof as well etc).

Sorry but I can't see that. My mate who is a cabinet maker seasons his wood before use but he certainly doesn't use rotted wood. The occasional piece of spalted wood but certainly no rotted.

Timber being seasoned is protected from the elements which would cause rotting (lifted off the ground , well ventilated so non of it stays damp too long in better air seasoning there is often a roof as well etc).

Yup if rotting was the same as seasoning houses wouldn't last very long.

I wouldn't burn tantalised timber though the chemicals are nasty

Look up the etymology of the word "seasoned", and compare it to the etymology of the word "season", then add two and two together.

Rotting and seasoning are not the same thing

This winter I decided to try to save some money as I have access to big sacks of wood offcuts for a pound each, so I'm burning this instead of coal. So far this autumn I've only spent about a tenner.

But there's usually quite a lot of tanalised timber in amongst the offcuts and I've found it doesn't burn as well - the fire needs to be much hotter to burn it so it's no good as kindling.

Are my empirical observations actually borne out by the facts, or am I just imagining it? No doubt someone will tell me that the chemicals in the wood are giving me cancer!

The burning of tanalised timber will release carcinogenic agents. Very bad for your health & others that breath the smoke. My advice to you is don't do it.

http://www.recycledplasticbuildingmaterials.co.uk/warnings-concerning-tanalised-wood-timber.html

Edited by Flyboy

Lots of other views on the internet too:

"Tanalised" is a bit of a generic term. The old CCA treatments did contain arsenic (Copper/Chromium/Arsenic) but not been used for many years so unlikely that any new product or offcut therefrom would have these metals. The green tinted stuff is TanalithE which does contain copper but neither of the other two. Tanalith Clear aka Tanalithm has no heavy metal content.

Tanalith 'E' no longer contains arsenic, but does contain Copper and organic bio degradeable biocides. Not a good idea to burn on an open fire, but safer on a closed woodburner.

Perhaps I'll rummage through in future and avoid the tanalised stuff.

Edited by blackrose

Lots of other views on the internet too:

"Tanalised" is a bit of a generic term. The old CCA treatments did contain arsenic (Copper/Chromium/Arsenic) but not been used for many years so unlikely that any new product or offcut therefrom would have these metals. The green tinted stuff is TanalithE which does contain copper but neither of the other two. Tanalith Clear aka Tanalithm has no heavy metal content.

Tanalith 'E' no longer contains arsenic, but does contain Copper and organic bio degradeable biocides. Not a good idea to burn on an open fire, but safer on a closed woodburner.

Perhaps I'll rummage through in future and avoid the tanalised stuff.

Safer for you maybe, but what about those breathing the smoke outside your boat. Any treated timber will produce carcinogens when burnt.

The first new word I've learned this week (spalted, that is, not timber), thanks!

It generally shows up as a thin black line running through parts of the grain.

. Any treated timber will produce carcinogens when burnt.

Isn't all smoke carcinogenic?