2 lights come on galvanic isolator

bigcol

Featured Posts

Ive just tested my Safeshore GI with 2 different digital multimeters and it's continually reading 1 (as per Diode Test function on meter) with shoreline disconnected. Damn things shot I suspect, but is a good 8 years old, so probably time for a new one.

I don't think that's a valid test because GI consist of back to back diodes so you have proven they are not open circuit but not that the GI is shot

You need to use a 9v battery across the GI and measure the voltage across the GI then reverse the battery connections and measure again should be something like 1.2 to 2.4 volts

Think the safe shore web site tells you how

I don't think that's a valid test because GI consist of back to back diodes so you have proven they are not open circuit but not that the GI is shot

You need to use a 9v battery across the GI and measure the voltage across the GI then reverse the battery connections and measure again should be something like 1.2 to 2.4 volts

Bear in mind that many modern GI's include a (large) capacitor, in fact its an ABYC requirement in the USA. Consideration needs to be given regarding charging/discharging capacitor when making measurements which could take in the order of minutes.

Diode test function on a multi meter is a valid test imo. previously, over the last 6-7 years I have done a diode test every 3-6 months or so and got the 1.8(ish) volts Safe Shore specify for their product (with power disconnected). I have a Safe Shore 100gmi, which is the one with the integral dual status lights. I haven't checked it for around 6 months, but did so a couple of days ago after seeing both diodes were lit with shore power connected. Yelvertoft Marina since has had a wind turbine put in and I haven't even glanced at my GI since it went in , in late May. Faulty unit, leaky shore power or faulty boat nearby??? Have isolated every 240v ac bit of kit on the boat with shore power connected and still two lights. Could be dodgy lead I suppose, but that's reasonably new and I have no reason to suspect it.

Diode test with shore power connected is 1.24 volts. With it disconnected is 1 on the meter(s). Prior tests with shore power disconnected over previous years were showing around 1.8 as per above, now just infinity......or 1

Diode test with shore power connected is 1.24 volts. With it disconnected is 1 on the meter(s). Prior tests with shore power disconnected over previous years were showing around 1.8 as per above, now just infinity......or 1

I haven't tested one of these as I dont have one, but if you test it with the shore power connected and the lights are on, is that a fair test of the diode if its in a conducting state.

Ive just tested my Safeshore GI with 2 different digital multimeters and it's continually reading 1 (as per Diode Test function on meter) with shoreline disconnected. Damn things shot I suspect, but is a good 8 years old, so probably time for a new one.

Give Vic at safeshore a call. Mine is about 10 years old and still fine.

Edited by blackrose