Adding Miles And Furlongs Using Excell

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

That's because you are a closet PHB and think Excel is a development platform.

You need Dave Mayall to let you know what you should be using, then you will only have the budget for Libre Office!

Which. as yet, I haven't found to be lacking in abilty

And that from someone who gained a doctorate on the back of Excel

Mind you that was a long long time ago (and I had to be convinced to abandon Lotus)

My next problem is to convert lat and longitude (measured in degrees and then minutes, with 6 decimal places) into an OS grid reference. There are some quite complex spreadsheets that do this...

Again I have to ask why when most handheld GPS units will work in OSGB 36 as well as 10 or so other systems

I might have just returned from the pub, but as the OP, can I state that I haven't a clue what is being talked about at this point!

unsure.png

The spreadsheet appreciation society has convened and are playing the time-honoured game of "my workbook is more complicated than yours"

biggrin.png

<snip>

Now, how do you convert furlongs per fortnight into rods, poles or perches per Bank Holiday Monday? <snip>

Using the Furlong/Firkin/Fortnight system of units

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FFF_system

springy

ETA a furlong per fortnight is roughly one centimetre per minute

Edited by springy

Again I have to ask why when most handheld GPS units will work in OSGB 36 as well as 10 or so other systems

Well: i have amused myself this year producing some rough guides for the Tidal Nene and Ouse, using waypoints on Google Earth which I have then loaded into my GPS chartplotter. Sample here.

As you can see I have the lat and long of the waypoints, and would quite like to convert to OS grid references, so that other users can annotate their OS maps. As you can see, not a high priority task.

Can't you set up the chartplotter to the OS36 datum?

My Garmin used to but I know later models don't all have that facility

ETA

I can see that a generic software tool might be more useful though

My plotter (actually software running on my laptop with the GPS connected by USB) only uses WGS84. That is also the datum used in Google Earth, which I used to create the original waypoints (1 nm apart)..