re-orientate my calorifier?

DanMax&Belle

Featured Posts

Does anyone know how Sure Cal position the coils within the calorifier? Please see the pic, you can see the end of my 2 coil Surecal 40 liter horizontal calorifier, the black heater hose is the Webasto entering and exiting the lower coil and the clear non braided pipe is my new installation of solar hot water which I am currently testing ...

IMG 1650

nb - this pic is not taken quite at the right angle the 2 brass fittings with clear hose and no jubilee clips (solar hot water) are actually level with each other.

I am concerned that the solar hot water coil is just coming into contact with the top half of the water in the calorifier causing stratification of the water as opposed to creating convection currents allowing the water in the calorifier to heat more evenly.

I am considering rotating the whole calorifier 45 degrees clockwise making the entry for hot coolant (from either the Websto or the solar hot water) go in through the lower entry point and exit through the upper point.

Thanks

Edited by DanMax&Belle

I am considering rotating the whole calorifier 45 degrees clockwise making the entry for hot coolant (from either the Websto or the solar hot water) go in through the lower entry point and exit through the upper point.

Surely this will then mean that the hot water take off is no loger at the highest point of the tank, and you will be drawing off water that is not the hottest, and may indeed never get the benefit of the hottest water that is now above the take off?

I guess there could be a trade off between one downside and another here, but I would certainly not be sure your idea will improve things, and may indeed do the opposite, I think?

Surely this will then mean that the hot water take off is no loger at the highest point of the tank, and you will be drawing off water that is not the hottest, and may indeed never get the benefit of the hottest water that is now above the take off?

I guess there could be a trade off between one downside and another here, but I would certainly not be sure your idea will improve things, and may indeed do the opposite, I think?

yes Alan you're right i hadn't considered the hot water take off. I guess I can leave the setup exactly as is, if someone was to confirm that the coils are positioned within the calorifier so as to distribute the heat coming from them to both the top and the bottom of the calorifier.

I reckon Surcal will have given considerable thought to the position of the coils within the calorifier, I was under the impression that the coils were just that,coils pure and simple so no matte which way the calorifier was given the take off should ne uppermost.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I reckon Surcal will have given considerable thought to the position of the coils within the calorifier, I was under the impression that the coils were just that,coils pure and simple so no matte which way the calorifier was given the take off should ne uppermost.

Phil

thanks Phil, I'm inclined to agree. I wonder if Surecal do a schematic?

Apart from the points raised by others, the hot water should enter the upper end of the coil and exit from the lower end of the coil i.e. the opposite of what you suggested. That way the hottest water from the solar panel or webasto gets to further heat up the already hot water in the upper part of the calorifier, giving an overall higher domestic water temperature, rather than immediately being chilled by the colder water in the bottom of the calorifier.

Hi Dan,

This is a (slightly blurry) photo of the inside of my horizontal surecal calorifier. The coils are just slightly flexible pipe which is slightly finned and makes two "u" shaped looped between the connection points.

Hope it's of some help!

calorifier

Edited by mattcyp
  • Greenie 1

Hi Dan,
This is a (slightly blurry) photo of the inside of my horizontal surecal calorifier. The coils are just slightly flexible pipe which is slightly finned and makes two "u" shaped looped between the connection points.
Hope it's of some help!

Matt - many thanks!!

Just so we're clear this is taken through the immersion hole, the light at the end is a reflection of the flash from a flat internal part at the rear of the calorifier and the top of the pic is the top of the calorifier?

On the assumption that the answer is yes to all of the above the "coils" seem to be:

1. Not so coil shaped

2. Converging towards the bottom

3. Mounted on some kind of support

....just some reflections be interesting to hear from others on this.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yeah, I was replacing the immersion heater, there is a brazed on disc at the other end which the light is shining off, and up in the piture is up in the boat (there is a bit of a pool of water in the bottom, I think).

on 1) yep, not what I was expecting when I opened it!

on 2) - Yeah, the top one sort of sags and sits on the lower one. I can't remember what the lower one was supported on though, I'm afraid.

It'll be interesting to hear how solar hot water comes on.

• 3 weeks later...