Boat transportation

rustydiver

Featured Posts

Here goes another radom question what's got me thinking about.

Sensiable answers first jokes after please.

I've seen a boat I like on the kennet and Avon canal Trowbridge area thinking about putting a offer on it.

Now in time I want to keep it on the Gloucester sharpness canal I can keep it on the k&a what's the best way off getting it across.

How much roughly would it cost to lorry it lift and drop it? It's about a 60 mile drive with 80% on the motorway.

How long would it take to motor it there via the canal net work?

Edited by rustydiver

Here goes another radom question what's got me thinking about.

Sensiable answers first jokes after please.

I've seen a boat I like on the kennet and Avon canal Trowbridge area thinking about putting a offer on it.

Now in time I want to keep it on the Gloucester sharpness canal I can keep it on the k&a what's the best way off getting it across.

How much roughly would it cost to lorry it lift and drop it? It's about a 60 mile drive with 80% on the motorway.

How long would it take to motor it there via the canal net work?

it's about 200 miles going to London,brim,Severn down to Gloucester, shorter way is down the tidal Avon to portishead, then get a pilot up to sharpness, with regard to road transport, go into local boatyards and ask who they use and recommend

I'm a road haulier with an articulated lorry and I charge it out at £400 per day. I don't do boat movements but I reckon you would be looking at a similar amount from a firm which does. This wouldn't include cranage.

The canal route would be via Oxford not London, but still a long way; entering Hilperton Marina to Gloucester docks on canalplan gave me 244 miles and 244 locks. A nice trip if you have the time to do it, but canalplan says it's 19 seven hour days.

People do take canal boats up the Severn from Bristol to Gloucester, but only when the weather and tides are suitable, and even then it's probably a bit scary, you'd need to check your insurance covers it, and I imagine you'd be a fool to do it without a pilot who knows those waters well. Having said that, if it's just overall cost you're looking at, it might be cheaper than either road haulage or the long (but safe and fun) inland trip.

Given the time I'd suggest doing the cruise yourself on canals. By the time you arrive you will be much more familiar with your boat.

If time is short then a truck and two cranes would likely cost in the order of £1000 - 1500.

Taking a boat thet's new to you round the Severn Estuary would be a concern because you really don't know how well it takes trips up rivers and an estuary ISN'T the place to do acceptance trials in a new( to you) boat. If the engine stops in a canal it's not far to the bank, If the engine fails in the estuary then you need help and fast before you either sit on mud or flow out to Lundy.

19 days at 7 hours could be fewer days at more hours, or it could be two or three weeks separately from wherever you can get a lift or public transport.

Thanks

The Severn was my thoughts, would a pilot be dear.

Being I'm new to this I think it's a scary option.

Two years ago a pilot from Portishead to Sharpness cost about £150. I only attempted it after I'd had my boat nearly a year, had addressed an intermittent fuel supply issue, felt that I knew what she was capable of, got trained and qualified on VHF radio in case of serious breakdown, and found another boat to travel in convoy with. Even then, I didn't have as much engine power to spare as I would have liked. And yes, it was daunting, all the way.

In your deck shoes I'd take the canal route or hire a crane and truck!

Two years ago a pilot from Portishead to Sharpness cost about £150. I only attempted it after I'd had my boat nearly a year, had addressed an intermittent fuel supply issue, felt that I knew what she was capable of, got trained and qualified on VHF radio in case of serious breakdown, and found another boat to travel in convoy with. Even then, I didn't have as much engine power to spare as I would have liked. And yes, it was daunting, all the way.

In your deck shoes I'd take the canal route or hire a crane and truck!

You dont fancy tring to do it again.

Naaa only joking. I think it will be via road or canal.

Going to put an offer in today and see how it goes.

The canal route would be via Oxford not London, but still a long way; entering Hilperton Marina to Gloucester docks on canalplan gave me 244 miles and 244 locks. A nice trip if you have the time to do it, but canalplan says it's 19 seven hour days.

People do take canal boats up the Severn from Bristol to Gloucester, but only when the weather and tides are suitable, and even then it's probably a bit scary, you'd need to check your insurance covers it, and I imagine you'd be a fool to do it without a pilot who knows those waters well. Having said that, if it's just overall cost you're looking at, it might be cheaper than either road haulage or the long (but safe and fun) inland trip.

The OP could (depending on time of year) do a lot more than 7-hour days.

Forget the relatively small geographical distance by road: this sort of route can be done in a few long weekends, leaving the boat at intermediate locations and hopping back to fetch a car, when returning 'home' to work or whatever. He just needs to talk to anyone involved first (eg for car parking) Some towpath moorings are fine provided you don't overstay, but he could generally arrange a short-term paid mooring at a marina or marinas along the way.

The OP could (depending on time of year) do a lot more than 7-hour days.

Forget the relatively small geographical distance by road: this sort of route can be done in a few long weekends, leaving the boat at intermediate locations and hopping back to fetch a car, when returning 'home' to work or whatever. He just needs to talk to anyone involved first (eg for car parking) Some towpath moorings are fine provided you don't overstay, but he could generally arrange a short-term paid mooring at a marina or marinas along the way.

Indeed. Assuming there's one person to steer and one to do locks and catering, that both are competent and making good use of daylight in June/July, a rule of thumb is that a boat can comfortably cover 40 locks or miles in a day while still slowing down properly past moored boats. So 12 long days should be enough, or 11 if pushing it.

If you wanted to be a fly boat and move 24/7 with a crew of say 4 or 5 people doing shifts, I suppose about 7 days is possible.

Thanks for you help.

Well I put a few offers in one a bit cheaky, well you got to try and one what I think the boat was worth and up to my max budget.

And it was a no.

So back to the searching again.

it just was,nt the right boat for you, the right boat will find you, my vessel came back to me three months after I made a really cheeky offer, asking if I was still looking,and if so did I want to buy it, for my offer price