Emergency Bilge Pump ?

GreyLady

Featured Posts

We have an automatic bilge pump and a manual bilge pump as a back up. By manual I do mean manual as in a man pumping a handle.

Both of which are capable of shifting a lot of water per minute should the need ever arise. Never had to try them out in anger mind as we aim to keep our bilges bone dry. If we have water in there we know we have a problem somewhere that needs sorting out.

Tempting fate, I know, but I'd be unpleasantly surprised if my bilge wasn't 100% dry! The Volvo water lubricated stern seal was not on my list of requirements when I bought my boat, but it has been a very welcome bonus.

Now I've posted that, I await the horror stories and hope I haven't hexxed myself!

when moving I get a little water through the stern gland (10 seconds running pump after 8 hours cruising) but the pump cannot get the level below 10mm (it sucks air) so I expected to come back to maybe a touch over 10mm of water (depending on how well the grease had sealed the stern gland) to find it totally dry was a very nice surprise.

Yer i get that overthinking thing, but for £80 i would rather pay for a piece of mind knowing i was not relying in some 2 bob bit of cut cost Bilge Pump fitted 8 years ago by the boat builder hoping to make an extra £10 ner.

The way i see an £80 water pump is its £80, if i can save someone elses boat while they are panicking about loosing their home then sure be it i will be their with my dodgy £80 Bilge Pump and knee hi in water passing Buckets with the rest of them.

I suppose its like carring a tool kit its not always their for your own boat but many for someone who may end up needing a lend.

i would really be upset seeing someone's boat sink and see them upsett. - i am a weirdo.

I agree entirely. Having decent equipment is like an insurance policy so you're not over-thinking this at all. I'm constantly amazed at how many boaters I meet don't have basic tools and equipment. Plus many don't know the first thing about their boats.

Learn about your boat and think ahead as you are doing and you'll be fine.

I agree entirely. Having decent equipment is like an insurance policy so you're not over-thinking this at all. I'm constantly amazed at how many boaters I meet don't have basic tools and equipment. Plus many don't know the first thing about their boats.

Learn about your boat and think ahead as you are doing and you'll be fine.

good advice, a good back up bilge pump is a manual like a Patay or equivalent. mount it on a bit of ply so you can stand on it when using it. This stops it jumping around and lets you really get going with it. The only down side is you can't run and find help you have to just stand there like a lemon and scream for help.smile.png