Waterworld

Theo

Featured Posts

I am beginning to think that Waterworld is a good programme to miss. Last Tuesday we wre teated to a discussion of Queen and the late Freddie Mercury for about 40% of the programme.

There are so many interesting things that could be dealt with. How about an item in the Falkirk Wheel or the Anderton Lift or the way that side pounds can save water or the construction of tunnels or some new waterways related gadgets or...?

I am beginning to despair. :-(

Perhaps the programme makers are boat owners and want to make the canals look really boring so that it puts people off and they don't get too overcrowded.

Nick

Edited by Theo

Perhaps someone could think up some form of on-line forum where such things could be discussed.

Years ago I went to a 'Talk' all about the Barton Swing Aqueduct. I sat for two hours listening to a bloke who freely admitted that he hadn't a clue how it worked. I remember gently prompting him with the word 'hydraulic' but that fell on stony ground. (I won't mention his name as he is still active).

I know what you mean. There seems to be less and less about the thrills and spills of the cut and more about everything else, including more than half a programme on the wildlife, which while I found this interesting would have been more suited to a wildlife programme not one about boats of all shapes and sizes navagating interesting canals & rivers and seeing lovely things. Of course this includes wildlife, but we don't need half a programme to tell us about it.

However, as it's called 'water world' maybe they feel it justifies going off on tangents talking about other things other than boats? I don't know.

I've gone off it slightly I have to say, but I wanted to watch it for the boat thing.

It no longer floats my boat if you pardon the pun.

Perhaps someone could think up some form of on-line forum where such things could be discussed.

????

You being ironic John or am I missing something?

This is an on-line forum where we are discussing it !

Regards

David

I am beginning to think that Waterworld is a good programme to miss. Last Tuesday we wre teated to a discussion of Queen and the late Freddie Mercury for about 40% of the programme.

There are so many interesting things that could be dealt with. How about an item in the Falkirk Wheel or the Anderton Lift or the way that side pounds can save water or the construction of tunnels or some new waterways related gadgets or...?

Perhaps the programme makers are boat owners and want to make the canals look really boring so that it puts people off and they don't get too overcrowded.

Nick

I agree. The programme is drifting off course and presentation pitifully slow (eg the piece on "blow-up" bridge was split over 2 weeks with the second week even reviewing the previous weeks painful effort).

Lets have more vintage engines, old boats, landmarks etc and less kids on holiday, lesser spotted warblers and voles.

Edited by andywatson

Waterworld - Waterworld - a glass of cool water to a parched canal enthusiast or is it?

Hi thar - all you square eyes

If I see the President go poop pooop! again in the credits I’ll scream (sorry friends of President) If I do forget it’s on and miss Waterworld, it doesn’t bother me in the least as it’s long ceased to be an essential programme of note. When I say ‘note’, this is the only regular programme on terrestrial TV that concerns itself with the world that interests us but its so do-lally in it’s choice of subject matter I feel sad at the lost opportunity.

In response to the comments here on this theme, this programme has gone incredibly 'watery' - a thin gruel to starving canal enthusiasts. (We can’t get enough of it!) But then most of the stuff in the canal magazines is pretty boring too.

Before we tackle 'why?' I would say that the pace of the programme does positively reflect the pace of boating on the cut and is quite soporific (not having to steer or do the locks means that I’ve nodded off several times) But it is the content, the features that turns this smooth cruise into the equivalent of a tedious trudge through a canal side modern housing or industrial estate.

So why is it mostly only marginally interesting to ‘boaters’?

Is what interests us and what we find absorbing, so narrow and ‘anoraky’?

Have the producer, researchers and directors stopped talking to boaters all over the country for their views and stories? I mean a post, by them, on this site would turn up all sorts of stuff interesting to all viewers. I think they are being far to conservative in their estimation of what will be interesting to attract a wide range of viewers to watch the adverts before, during and after the programme. I mean, we are all enhanced members of society (‘I’m not!’ – a voice cried) and that makes us just as much an expert as the producers really, only we don’t get paid their salary or fee….

So email the buggers and give them ideas to consider and film (unless you plan to film and broadcast them yourself!). The programme has now been broadcast in the London region proving that it does attract a healthy audience but I can’t image maintaining those numbers if the programmes are so flaccid in content and relevance.

Nice try but could do so very much better…..

King Learie

In fact I’d rather watch Harry H Corbett in ‘The Bargee’ – another lost opportunity! :banghead:

The programme has now been broadcast in the London region proving that it does attract a healthy audience but I can’t image maintaining those numbers if the programmes are so flaccid in content and relevance.

Nice try but could do so very much better…..

King Learie

In fact I’d rather watch Harry H Corbett in ‘The Bargee’ – another lost opportunity! :banghead:

Well, the episode this week was poor and I have to say I can't even remember what was in it! It won't last long in London at this rate, we down south have very low tolerance of this kind of thing! I prefer to watch my video of the first series! More boats, less aimless chat

Have you not noticed it's the same with most interesting programs. Watch one about a diving expedition , 80% is about the logistics, politics, food, only a small part devoted to the actual dive. Same with "Seconds from disaster", most of it is about what a tragedy it all was, very little on the science or engineering involved, or watch Norm in his workshop, he'll be cutting an intricate joint and the idiot cameraman will focus on his face, not on what he's doing! Or wildlife progs. that get in so close you have no concept of the action, or size of the animal involved.

It makes my blood boil.

And worst of all, these bloody cameramen who think its trendy to be zooming , panning, and shaking for effect. Watch any wartime documentary, for instance, and the historic footage is far more stable than any modern re enactment.

And another thing, after every break, reviewing the program content. I don't have difficulty remembering what I'm watching, and my mind is pretty addled from years of abuse.

Rant over.

Granada Programme was Locks and Quays (Groan!), presented by "Fred the weatherman" so I am told.

Waterworld is an advertisment for people to sell their houses and move onto a luxury boat or barge. That's why there is no coverage of anything "bad", like miles and miles of weed, trolleys, 'ooligans throwing bricks, etc......

Bring back "Joshua Jones"! (And "Chigley"!!!)

Edited by scoobydog

If I see the President go poop pooop! again in the credits I’ll scream (sorry friends of President)

The bit in the credits which makes me spit is the clip of the girl swinging the windlass around and doing a sort of growl/shout!

:banghead:

I walked on the T&M t`day (Sandon Lock to Stone, Staffs) and found a brand new windlass just lying there on the ground.

and of course you left it there for the owner to come back and find :banghead::unsure:

Thats a shame, and also reminds of the Saturday Kitchen I watched last week ( or maybe week before!) It had the chef on whos a bit crazy cant think of his name right now ( hey its sunday morning!) but anyhow he was cooking on a canal Boat..

They also showed some pictures of the boat going along the canal in one clip.. Instead of showing the beauty of the experience.. they showed it ploughing through loads of rubbish in a pretty grotty area.. and looked really quite of putting to someone who hasnt seen reverse of the coin

I thought to myself then, they could of showed a true reflection of travelling though some beauty spots/countryside maybe some clips of wildlife

GRRRRrrrr to the BBC

I agree with all the above comments, the program seems to have lost its way. Has any one else noticed its shorter too? Its billed to start at 7.30pm. But its usually 7.35 by the time it starts. 10mins for part one, ads, then 10mins for part2. Grrrr. I must agree with another member, email them.

Maybe they think narrowboats too much of a niche audience and want to tap into a wider market?

Emailing them seems a good idea, especially if you've a tale or two. Who knows maybe they are looking for ideas...

Thats a shame, and also reminds of the Saturday Kitchen I watched last week ( or maybe week before!) It had the chef on whos a bit crazy cant think of his name right now ( hey its sunday morning!) but anyhow he was cooking on a canal Boat..

They also showed some pictures of the boat going along the canal in one clip.. Instead of showing the beauty of the experience.. they showed it ploughing through loads of rubbish in a pretty grotty area.. and looked really quite of putting to someone who hasnt seen reverse of the coin

I thought to myself then, they could of showed a true reflection of travelling though some beauty spots/countryside maybe some clips of wildlife

GRRRRrrrr to the BBC

Yeah agree with you...it was Keith Floyd in Birmingham cooking beef in beer I think! Food looked great, but what we saw of the canal looked grotty.

Having watched the entire series I would suggest perhaps the programme is aimed at prospective canal enthusiasts. True, the content is nothing new to the majority of users of this board but I have heard some very positive comments from those who would not know a windlass from a mooring pin.

Granada Programme was Locks and Quays (Groan!), presented by "Fred the weatherman" so I am told.

Waterworld is an advertisment for people to sell their houses and move onto a luxury boat or barge. That's why there is no coverage of anything "bad", like miles and miles of weed, trolleys, 'ooligans throwing bricks, etc......

Bring back "Joshua Jones"! (And "Chigley"!!!)

While locks and Quays is good in parts it lacks depth and wonders off subject (a bit like me). Having spent some fifteen years cruising the Peak Forest Canal I was excited to hear that the new series of Lock and Quays was to be set around this area.

When it first started Ian Edgar was talking about buggy basin, all good I thought (especially since me and Paul have helped on the restoration). After that there was only another 5-10 mins of footage on the actual canal. The rest of the program seemed to be filler (pandering to the masses). The Peak Forest has to be one of the most picturesque waterways around and all we got was the back of swizzels :cheers:

I did manage to get hold of the production company on the phone as I wanted them to run a story on our dayboat Phoenix.

Converting a burnt out wreck into a running business has got to be more interesting than some kids from Liverpool. Which have nothing to do with the Peak Forest canal. I then wrote to them explaining my ideas about Phoenix and various other things.

They never replied to my letter but to be fair they had finished filming in the area.

I didn't see WaterWorld but it sounds like I didn't miss anything.

The bit in the credits which makes me spit is the clip of the girl swinging the windlass around and doing a sort of growl/shout!

Oh how I agree with you Theo, it gets on my nerves.

We watch Waterworld every week, and like so many others here we have been disappointed with its content so far. I really think they need do more on historic boats, and those still trading on our waterways.

Finally they made a comment last week on the fact that people should find a mooring before getting a boat yayyyyyyyyy, we have been waiting a long time for that to be said.

This program never tells of the pitfalls of owning a boat, and do you notice it is always good weather. They never show it when it is chucking it down with rain, or in the snow etc.

People look at boating through rose coloured glasses because of Waterworld, and think lets buy a boat. It would be refresing to have a program that shows the high, lows and definately the pitfalls. They have missed a great chance at showing it as it is.

Come on programmers show the real side of being on the cut.

Nick

Couldn't agree with you more. This series has been very dissapointing compared to last years series.

And they chop and change the days around that much its virtually impossible to know when it will be shown.

Couldn't agree with you more. This series has been very dissapointing compared to last years series.

And they chop and change the days around that much its virtually impossible to know when it will be shown.

It's been on thurs nights with regular monotony, in the midlands. A bit of variation on scheduling might reintroduce the element of the unexpected.