Fitting an alarm for engine malfunctions

Ricco1

Featured Posts

My little Vetus M2.04 is supposed to have an audible alarm for low oil and alternator failure. It hasn't. I'm wondering whether it would be an easy and relatively cheap job to fit one. Would the wiring be simple? The panel with warning lights is fitted in a 'tower' with a hinged metal flap to waterproof it, the same tower that the engine control lever is fitted to.

I did this job myself last week, bought a 12v buzzer and then wired it to the oil pressure warning light. It all works perfectly, buzzes when the ignition comes on and for about a second or two after the engine fires up until the oil pressure lamp goes out, buzzes again about a second or two after the engine is killed.

My little Vetus M2.04 is supposed to have an audible alarm for low oil and alternator failure. It hasn't. I'm wondering whether it would be an easy and relatively cheap job to fit one. Would the wiring be simple? The panel with warning lights is fitted in a 'tower' with a hinged metal flap to waterproof it, the same tower that the engine control lever is fitted to.

Low oil pressure maybe - but not low oil, surely?? The latter is more of a challenge to fit on an industrial engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this: I took the thing apart today. There is a buzzer unit within a printed circuit board under the panel with the lights and key slot etc. I carefully prised the cover off the buzzer it seems the wiring inside is intact. I can't tell if it's the buzzer that isn't working or it's not wired properly, finding out is beyond me. The part number is on the circuit board but despite a long search I can't find anyone who supplies one. A whole new panel is available, including the circuit board but at 600 quid, no thanks!

I'm now thinking of buying a couple of cheap 12v buzzers off ebay. One for the alternator light and one for the temperature. Electrics aren't an area of expertise for me though! So what do I do, locate the positive wire for each light and splice the new buzzer wire into it? If so, what should I do with the negative wire from the new buzzers?

If you want to feed a buzzer from several lights (alternator, oil pressure, water temp, adverc, etc, you'll need to use a bunch of diodes as well.

This could lead into a very complex bit of wiring, especially as some of the things you're wiring have a positive "signal" and others have a negative "signal". Far easier to fit separate buzzers for each item, also makes it possible to use different sounds for different warnings.

Update on this: I took the thing apart today. There is a buzzer unit within a printed circuit board under the panel with the lights and key slot etc. I carefully prised the cover off the buzzer it seems the wiring inside is intact. I can't tell if it's the buzzer that isn't working or it's not wired properly, finding out is beyond me. The part number is on the circuit board but despite a long search I can't find anyone who supplies one. A whole new panel is available, including the circuit board but at 600 quid, no thanks!

I'm now thinking of buying a couple of cheap 12v buzzers off ebay. One for the alternator light and one for the temperature. Electrics aren't an area of expertise for me though! So what do I do, locate the positive wire for each light and splice the new buzzer wire into it? If so, what should I do with the negative wire from the new buzzers?

I think you are just putting the buzzer in parallel with each bulb? so you just connect the buzzer into the two wires feeding the bulb.

I always thought that one buzzer serves Temp, charge and oil lights on my Vetus. Each has it's own light but share the buzzer.

If a buzzer was piggy backed on to the existing buzzer wires it could be mounted inside the boat to act as a warning when charging batteries.

Also be a way to fix the op quetion on buzzer not working. Best I think to leave individual warning lights alone.