solid fuel stove?

robert anthony

Featured Posts

I've been looking for a multi fuel stove to fit on the boat for the winter months. The main cabin is only around 25' so only need a small stove. I had a look at the Davey hot pot stove but would prefer something with a glass door. I came across this one on Ebay and wondered if anyone has one? and if so, are they any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traveller-Stove-Portable-Multi-Fuel-Stove-Bell-Tent-Stove-Boat-Stove-Camp-Cooker-/271327923956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=570218643159&hash=item3f2c678ef4

Thanks, that looks a lot better and is much cheaper.

. Another thumbs up for the boatman, also nice flat top for the kettle or even warming food, just noticed your avatar pic and thought I would add mine is in the front cabin of a large centre cockpit like yours, in all but the coldest weather we leave the cabin doors open and it stays toastie, Edited by craftycarper

Boatman fires I do believe you can now specify larger top plate which gives better temperature control for cooking boiling kettle etc.

They look nice with the brass fiddle rail .

The Boatman has good reviews

Another option is Villager Puffin or Becton Bunny but they are a bit bigger.

I spent a winter on a tiny fibreglass boat in which I installed a Davey Hotpot. While it was a very nice item it was rather limited in its heat output and usefulness for an occupied boat.

By occupied I mean a vessel the owner of which uses as accomodation every night.

Magnetman ,

Im considering some extra heat source for the stern end of a 58 ft trad . At the front i have becton bunny and im very happy with it . But when worst of winter comes i d like extra at the back .

I considered ( & still considering ) the pipsqueak stove & the davey hotpot , but it is a pricey item so the jurys still out at the mo. Did you consider it a good purchase ? Value for money , easy to keep in , good looking ... for a stove etc

I like the idea of fitting it to the steel bulkhead at the rear of my bedroom which doesn t require a hearth , tho i appreciate there are still safety measures & BSS compliance to consider if bulkhead mounted .

Would you say its capable of heating the back 25 - 30 ft . I d be interested in uour opinions , few people have them i think . I think MtB has one from otger theeads ive read . Otherwise im considering a little refleks instead

cheers

Boatman fires I do believe you can now specify larger top plate which gives better temperature control for cooking boiling kettle etc.

They look nice with the brass fiddle rail .

. I have been thinking of fabricating a small horseshoe shaped metal box to sit on top of the boatman for use as an oven,

Magnetman ,

Im considering some extra heat source for the stern end of a 58 ft trad . At the front i have becton bunny and im very happy with it . But when worst of winter comes i d like extra at the back .

I considered ( & still considering ) the pipsqueak stove & the davey hotpot , but it is a pricey item so the jurys still out at the mo. Did you consider it a good purchase ? Value for money , easy to keep in , good looking ... for a stove etc

I like the idea of fitting it to the steel bulkhead at the rear of my bedroom which doesn t require a hearth , tho i appreciate there are still safety measures & BSS compliance to consider if bulkhead mounted .

Would you say its capable of heating the back 25 - 30 ft . I d be interested in uour opinions , few people have them i think . I think MtB has one from otger theeads ive read . Otherwise im considering a little refleks instead

cheers

They are very nice but I didn't have a lot of luck keeping it in overnight. I expect it would be do-able but on balance I think I would use the Refleks 66m for what you are describing if you want it to be continuous burning and are happy with a diesel stove.

There was a nice little stove called the Faversham not sure if its still about though. Another possibility would be a Pansey charcoal burner maybe?

Or a cozy cabin flued LPG heater but they are only us supplied I think and not sure what the bss says about them..

Cheers Magnetman

Most grateful for your reply . Looks like i ll prob take it off my list . Id only use it in the worst bit of winter if i got a refleks 66 . That could be an option and the hearth needn t be as substantial as a solid fuel stove . I need a small stove only , even boatman is too big i think . That leaves the Faversham & Pipsqueak as solid fuel , although the Pipsqueak does seem like it ll end up needing more room than one would at first think , & the refleks . Another im considering is the Samphire Sea Stove . £600 on ebay as a summer only price and includes all fittings etc . Not sure yet tho , it might be noisy .

Just considerations for now , but i think i ll scratch the hotpot if its a chore to keep in , ... not cheap either ...

cheers

Edited by chubby

Cheers Magnetman

Most grateful for your reply . Looks like i ll prob take it off my list . Id only use it in the worst bit of winter if i got a refleks 66 . That could be an option and the hearth needn t be as substantial as a solid fuel stove . I need a small stove only , even boatman is too big i think . That leaves the Faversham & Pipsqueak as solid fuel , although the Pipsqueak does seem like it ll end up needing more room than one would at first think , & the refleks . Another im considering is the Samphire Sea Stove . £600 on ebay as a summer only price and includes all fittings etc . Not sure yet tho , it might be noisy .

Just considerations for now , but i think i ll scratch the hotpot if its a chore to keep in , ... not cheap either ...

cheers

The Boatmans firebox can easily be bricked out to reduce the grate area which reduces heat output and fuel consumption.

We've got a villager puffin which was on the boat when we bought it so don't know how old it is - it works well and stays in overnight we, burn wood and smokeless- ours hasn't got airwash so the glass gets dirty but easy to clean

Cheers again

if i fit something like a refleks for example it needs to be physically small because it will go into a very small area & more importantly it needs to be fitted in such a way that i can still access a cupboard that houses my calorifier . Thats why im having to really be certain about the stove i buy .

A refleks 66 is small , reliable , doesn t need as substantial a hearth ( i think ) as they weigh little and the steel body doesnt get as hot as a solid fuel stove ( i think ) . But theyre pricey . Several on ebay at present but i can t collect if i bid , so i ll keep looking .

Maybe i will reconsider the Davey Hotpot , but again its a pricey bit o kit . The roof collars about £130 on top of the stove . But its perfect size , bulkhead mounted , it won t disturb access to the cupboard etc .

Seems strange on a day like this when its scorchio to be thinking of stoves .

The deliberations will continue ....

The Davey Hotpot IS a nice stove. For this reason I suspect they don't come up second hand often.

I have wondered about the feasibility of building a gas bottle stove but rather than using a calor bottle it could be made with a large welding gas bottle. They seem to be much thicker which would probably make the stove more effective.

If you could find someone really good at welding you might be able to get a stove similar to the HotPot made like that ?

With the flue going straight up and a damper and a loading door and an ash door.

Will need a good craftsman to make it but I definitely think its doable.

I personally dislike 'calir bottle' type stoves because the metal is not very thick but a heavy bottle with thicker walls and smaller diameter -might- be better

I've seen a mini stove which seemed to be made from an 8 inch pipe flange.

Another option would be to get someone to weld together some butt-weld pipe fittings as depending on the schedule they are made of pretty thick stuff.

Seems strange on a day like this when its scorchio to be thinking of stoves .

The deliberations will continue ....

Mid summer is the best time to be sorting out the heating ;)

Cheers again Magnetman

Im not actually waiting or expecting to see a hotpot on ebay . Im happy to get one new but i have to be sure that the stove i buy is the right one & theres nowhere to see a hotpot " in the flesh " & so i m relying on tinternet pics etc. From past posts & on yacht forums they do seem to get good write ups & whichever i opt for ... eventually will be just for the bedroom & bathroom . I can also shove pounshop heatlogs into a davey hotpot for a blast of heat . Got a few things on the go just now but i ll look into this stove a bit more actually . Its pricey but if its the right one for job , & it probably IS the best option , then i ll be shelling out

cheers again

Ive noticed MtB refer to his Davey Hotpot , but few folks seem to have them . I popped into Uxbridge boat center recently . The Faversham was there but no Davey stove . Best price ive found .... only price ive found was £449 so i ll keep thinking on it for now & checking ebay for a small refleks or even a Taylors . It might take time to buy in the bits needed but theres no hurry

cheers again