Electric bike charging

Kalapattar

Featured Posts

Hi! I have four 110ah batteries on a 12v system and a 600w inverter! Is this sufficient for charging the battery on a electri bike? If so, how long would it take to a fully charged state please?

Edited by Kalapattar

Hi! I have four 110ah batteries on a 12v system and a 600w inverter! Is this sufficient for charging the battery on a electri bike? If so, how long would it take to a fully charged state please?

Read the bike instructions for the answer...

Do they run a bike 'all day'?

Richard

Depends on the electric bike and battery.

We have three electric assist cargo trikes at work (courier company)- all capable of taking up to 250kg. Having taken 200kg in one before the electric was fitted, it's an absolute godsend!

One has two bog standard 90ah car starter batteries in parallel; easily charged with existing systems, but not many electric bikes use this.

The other has a 17ah Lithium ion battery, which lasts about an hour to an hour and a half, depending on how loaded the bike is. This needs charging through 240v, but doesn't draw very much (I think about 100w or so) and charges in about two hours. This is the most common type of bike battery I've seen.

The other newest bike has a HUGE Lithium ion battery- which cost over 1000 euros alone!- which takes a mains charger, but for much much longer. However, it lasts easily a whole day between charges, sometimes nearly two. Too big for most electric bikes though.

So, chances are, you're looking at about 100w at 240v for a couple of hours.

Edited by FadeToScarlet