Suitable nb for me

plumby

Featured Posts

Hi folks,

I have trawelled your informative forum but in your opinion which type of nb would be best for me...

I will be liveaboard, "constant cruiser", i intend to renovate the nb I purchase and it will be just me and my 4 dogs (2 are large breed).

I'm struggling with the choice of nb, trad, semi trad, cruiser stern and to a noob its a minefield. I like plenty of space but am adventuress so won't stick to just the popular routes as it where.

Like I said I'm a potential noob and this is a sell up and relocate to the water type transaction so I need all the info I can

Thank you for your time

Andy

Hard question to answer, everybody has their own idea of the best stern FWIW I would dismiss cruiser stern unless you want to entertain shed loads of people outside.

Trad stern offers under cover service area for engine and the possibility of a boatmans cabin if that is your thing. Now I show my bias, a semitrad often has bench seats either side ( as mine does ) with easy access to gas locker on one side and battery bank under the other.

The latter point means that tending your batteries is an easy task, when they are tucked away on the swim it can be an arduous task.

Suggest you try to look ay various sterns and consider what would best suit your needs.

Phil

Get out there and look at boats. We were convinced we wanted a semi-trad, but ended up with a cruiser, and love it! Although, it doesn't get used as much now as when we first moved aboard. It made travelling for hubs and I a lot of more sociable, and as we only have little boat (46ft) it means we have a good outdoor space for entertaining guests.

Thanks Phil,

I've been to so many boat yards and marinas I think I my brain is now running in circles, see I thought a cruiser stern would be beneficial for cruising so my dogs can sit out with me, your right this is very difficult and scary as the purchase will be my home, don't want to get it wrong,

Thank you traveller, they are well trained and I'm only 42 so have lots of time for renovation :-))

Thanks lmcgrath, like I said I've looked at loads, ones in good condition, ones to renovate, I can't get my head round it and once its purchased then I'll stick with it, so HELP haha

Thank you traveller, they are well trained and I'm only 42 so have lots of time for renovation :-))

:-). I've done a couple of boats now and the only constant I can see is that renovation can, and more often than not does, require lots more time than first thought.

Re trad or cruiser, it is as others have said a personal choice. I have always preferred trad as there is extra cabin space (even if only a little) to store things. But your pooches will be a consideration. Maybe semi-trad will be the compromise. Either way enjoy the search.

Mike makes a good point re the Workmate :-)

Edited by Traveller

I think a cruiser stern would be better for you.

Somewhere flat and solid to set up the workmate outside is VERY useful, as is somewhere to put the dogs when you tire of them being inside the cabin with you.

How on earth could you ever be tired of having a dog with you!? huh.png unless, they've just eaten a bag of pigs ears which don't agree with them I suppose.....

I think a cruiser stern would be better for you.

Somewhere flat and solid to set up the workmate outside is VERY useful, as is somewhere to put the dogs when you tire of them being inside the cabin with you.

very good quote cheers

How on earth could you ever be tired of having a dog with you!? huh.png unless, they've just eaten a bag of pigs ears which don't agree with them I suppose.....

clapping.gif

Yes but FOUR of then, two 'large breed'...?

The 'pigs ears' comment applies to blokes too though, doesn't it?

Yes but FOUR of then, two 'large breed'...?

The 'pigs ears' comment applies to blokes too though, doesn't it?

I would be more inclined to kick a bloke out than a dog, yes... laugh.png

Four puppies would be amazing, so many cuddles, and yet here I am with NO dogs anymore. I tell you, life's not fair.

I hope your cat isn't reading this thread....

haha, he loves dogs! He thinks he is one thanks to my labrador taking on the task of raising him. He went on holiday recently where there was a german shepherd in residence and he was delighted to be reunited with his own species!

Four dogs? Blimey, I 'ope they're quiet. You won't be popliar with most CCers if they spend all their leisure time barking at things. The dogs, not the CCers.

Go look at both kinds of boats. Trad sterns and Cruiser sterns, and Semi-cruiser sterns. SORRY, three kinds of boats. And those with a mid-engine room. FOUR kinds of boats, and those that have a pump-out***^%$$£ ouch!

AMONG the types of boats that you can see, are... er, sorry. I've just been subdued by something heavy.

I'll have another think about this thread tomorrow when I can see properly again...

He-He I chuckled at the comments about 4 dogs, we had a canine crew of 4 when we first moved aboard, we have a different crew now of 2. The point about semi trad is pertinent and we do leave the back doors open with the doors on the semi trad stern locked. This means the dogs are outside, which they love and they can stand on the bench seats and watch the world go by.

Phil

We have two large dogs (often more) on board. For that reason we like the semi trad best (with a much maligned rain shed). If I had no dogs, I would like a trad, but only with a "proper" engine room.

Edited by Guest

We have 4 dogs too. 1 big and three terriers. We chose a cruiser stern which we had enclosed. We have a gate on each side so that the stern becomes an additional room. We dont let the dogs up there when travelling. Too dangerous, easy to trip over, like to concentrate on the boating. It works well for us as we know the dogs cannot just go jumping off the boat and we have some control. It also serves as a room to dry the dogs off (as we have a cover on it when moored) which has been a god send through winter and rainy days. (great for hanging up wet coats too). But as others have said, depends on what you want and how you want to use your boat.

A suitable nb for me would have no dogs, I've never felt the urge to keep one. But if you want to let them outside but not have them under your feet when steering, the solution would appear to be to have some open space for them at the bow?

They might just decide to walk back along the roof to reach you of course, but then the big advantage of dogs over cats as I understand it is that dogs can be trained?