Engine hour counter...

trundler

Featured Posts

Hi all or anyone with an answer.

Our engine hour counter on a beta43 engine. When its cold or damp will not register. When its hot, it works intermittently,. I don't know enough about this to take it to bits to have a look. any knowledgeable person out there have any ideas, please. many thank.s

I had that problem a couple of years ago with a Beta 43 instrument panel. It did dry out in the summer and had been keeping an accurate count of the engine hours but just not displaying them. I now have half a dozen silica gel 'packets' around the tachometer which I replace every six months or so and have had no further problems.

The Beta hour counter on Kelpie didn't work. I was resigned to the complex route above, and took the tacho apart on a reconaissance mission. I gave the hours counter display ribbon cable a rub with a cloth and switch cleaner where it plugs into the instrument and re-assembled it.

It now works, but it's only been a few months, so not too sure how long it'll last.

The instrument was a bit of a pig to take apart and put together again, and that was without removing the needle and black display label angry.png

Iain

If you don't get it working, these are easy to wire in and much cheaper than a replacement rev counter/hours meter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hour-meter-6-80V-Counter-Tech-Generator-Car-Boat-Motorcycle-ATV-Dirt-Bike-12V-/360735159789?hash=item53fd7db5ed

I put one of these on my boat but switched by a spring operated micro switch (actually a motorbike brake light switch) which only operates when forward drive is engaged on the gear box. So just for my amusement I know know the engine hours from the original meter and propulsion hours from this.

If you don't get it working, these are easy to wire in and much cheaper than a replacement rev counter/hours meter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hour-meter-6-80V-Counter-Tech-Generator-Car-Boat-Motorcycle-ATV-Dirt-Bike-12V-/360735159789?hash=item53fd7db5ed

I put one of these on my boat but switched by a spring operated micro switch (actually a motorbike brake light switch) which only operates when forward drive is engaged on the gear box. So just for my amusement I know know the engine hours from the original meter and propulsion hours from this.

I thought about that but never got round to it, just to see how many hours the engine idles for without using it just to charge batteries, what sort of numbers/percentages did you get?

Depends on how many locks etc - I tend to leave the engine on idle in locks - but from memory it's often less than 50% propulsion, but of course the engine is working harder when moving, so for diesel usage I'm probably about 60% propulsion which surprised me. But no diesel boiler.