Narrowboat Hulls ?

brassedoff

Featured Posts

In my mind the anodes are not there for the steel, they are there for prop and shaft.

Rather than blacking every to years, shotblast it when new and used decent paint every four. Costs the same in paint, but less in time effort and drydock fees, and often less rust to boot.

Our hull is 24 years old, and basically has had no rust at all. What it has had is on the inside, predominantly in a small area we used to store lead ballest.

We have a shore line but basically dint used it as the boat is either not being used over winter, or out on the system boating.

Daniel

Was it an 127 year old bit that rusted through?

Richard

Funny you should ask that. The is some inconclusive evidence suggesting the baseplate that rusted through was actually replaced by Alfred Hickman, in 1910.

Funny you should ask that. The is some inconclusive evidence suggesting the baseplate that rusted through was actually replaced by Alfred Hickman, in 1910.

Probably a bit too late now to ask for a refund because he used inferior quality steel when he replaced the bottom that only lasted a bit more than 100 years wink.png

Peter.

Any railway lines or overhead cables near the marina?

Stray dc currents from e.g. railways can leak into surroundings or AC currents can induct volts into the surroundings.

Yes we have 2 railway lines plus a pylon very close and a sub station on the other side of the canal we are doomed pike doomed sick.gif

Peter

Mine lasted 45 years before refooting parts and replacing the wooden bottom in 1980, and then was replaced again in 2008 although it could've gone for 10 more years.

Plenty of the hull is still the original 1935 wrought iron.

So about 40 years, assuming no galvanic corrosion.

Yes we have 2 railway lines plus a pylon very close and a sub station on the other side of the canal we are doomed pike doomed sick.gif

Peter

Look up stray current cathodic protection or corrosion. Can be nasty. Not saying it's happening but it can be a problem. Railway electric?

Look up stray current cathodic protection or corrosion. Can be nasty. Not saying it's happening but it can be a problem. Railway electric?

I will look tomorrow but it doesnt really matter much now as I have sold my business and taken early retirement so my plan for CCing is getting ready to start clapping.gif

Peter