Featured Posts

Trying to re-invent the wheel can be fun but living with the result often is not. standard practice is normally standard for a reason unsure.png

but that's no reason not to think outside the box if you wish to have a go smile.png

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2340719/The-wheel-reinvented-Skateboarder-raises-30-000-10-days-produce-cube-shaped-wheels-claims-faster-provide-better-handling.html

(Sorry I know this source is the bete noir of some on this site)

edit to add the apology

Edited by John V

Trying to re-invent the wheel can be fun but living with the result often is not. standard practice is normally standard for a reason unsure.png

but that's no reason not to think outside the box if you wish to have a go smile.png

Quite so, but the OP requested "instant and continuous hot water" without using electricity or LPG. Something the world of boating has been seeking since the dawn of time. If it was possible, I rather think someone would have figured out how by now.

Sorry, I'm being negative again aren't I? smile.png

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

And steer clear of the Chinese connection.

There's a lot of truth in the old saying "Buy cheap, buy twice"

Phil

And as I always say if its made in China it will catch fire and burn your boat to the waterline sick.gif and I dont care if I phones etc are made there because they rob you of your finacial details as well!!!!

Peter

Hot water use wise, I have it on good authority (a friend who got a biology degree) that you don't need to use hot water to kill germs just fairy liquid to break the surface of their cells.

I think your mate must have missed the lecture at uni that covered Legionella.

If all it took to kill it was some fairy liquid I don't think we'd have all the reams of legislation prescribing how to control it in air conditioning systems and more recently, in domestic hot water systems in rented homes.

One of these black bag things on the roof full of water heated by the sun is an ideal environment to cultivate lethal Legionella. Don't even think about them, in case you were considering one...

I think your mate must have missed the lecture at uni that covered Legionella.

If all it took to kill it was some fairy liquid I don't think we'd have all the reams of legislation prescribing how to control it in air conditioning systems and more recently, in domestic hot water systems in rented homes.

One of these black bag things on the roof full of water heated by the sun is an ideal environment to cultivate lethal Legionella. Don't even think about them, in case you were considering one...

He said that cold tap water with fairy liquid is enough to kill the bacteria present on dirty dishes.

Legionnaires is obviously an issue. Thus the kettle.

But anyway. I think having absorbed everyones advice the simplest and most cost effective solution is to just install a morco.

Obviously by a gas safe engineer

You need to ensure that his 'ticket' covers boats.

One qualified to work on houses or caravans is NOT qualified to work on boats.

Indeed . Although the OP being a qualified architect would probably know Gas Safe Registration is multi-level.

Unlike the general public, who think one ticket covers everything.

I understamd all too well about someone having to pass a specific ticket.

I never said I was fully qualified. Currently I have only passed the architecture degree. I am working on my postgraduate part 2. I have been studying part time while working in an architects office as an assistant since 2006. And then when I finish pt 2, I will have to do part 3.

I understamd all too well about someone having to pass a specific ticket.

I never said I was fully qualified. Currently I have only passed the architecture degree. I am working on my postgraduate part 2. I have been studying part time while working in an architects office as an assistant since 2006. And then when I finish pt 2, I will have to do part 3.

Good on you, it will be worth the effort and you will end up minted.

Phil

Fergus, if you can find a way to store hot water, then in summer it is perfectly feasible to use the sun to heat it. I appreciate that on a smallish boat finding the space for a hot water cylinder may prove a challenge, but if you can manage it, then you will have a multitude of ways to heat the water - mains electricity (when available), multi-fuel stove with boiler (in winter), engine (when running), solar hot water (in summer), gas, diesel lorry heater (Eberspacher, Mikumi, Webasto etc). The list is long. I have one, two, three and five on my boat, and am (very slowly) working on four.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have booked a Morco D61B to be fitted by a very nice gas safe engineer (with lpg on boats ticket). On the 13th. For £300 materials, £150 labour and £90 VAT.

We have also sorted out our boat insurance and our CRT license so we should be on the water really soon.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have booked a Morco D61B to be fitted by a very nice gas safe engineer (with lpg on boats ticket). On the 13th. For £300 materials, £150 labour and £90 VAT.

We have also sorted out our boat insurance and our CRT license so we should be on the water really soon.

Morcos are great kit. We had one on the previous boat.