cabin electrical problems 240v/12v

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

What could cause this please?

I was having trouble with my 240v computer which is ancient & in it's death throes.

So I unplugged everything to do with it, & when I unplugged a 4 way extension lead (had nothing plugged into it by this time) from the wall socket, my 12v TV turned off.

So I tried plugging a few things back in to that particular wall socket with no effect, until I plugged the original 4 way thing into it, & my radio came on. Unplugged it again from the wall socket, & tv & radio went off again.

My TV & car radio are on the same circuit, definitely 12v, controlled by the same trip switch.

I took apart the 4 way extension lead that was triggering this & could see nothing wrong. I took apart the 240v wall socket & could see nothing wrong. No loose wires.

I have tried various plugs in the socket & the tv & radio will no longer come on, including the original offending 4 way extension thing.

They are separate circuits, there is no way they should be able to influence each other

When it happened, it didn't matter if the 240v wall socket was on or off, just if it had something plugged in to it or not & only that particularcular 4 way extension lead. The socket is a double socket, the other made no difference. The socket work fine.

I am confused now.

Do you have an inverter that will augment the shoreline if the shoreline does not supply enough/any current?

If so just maybe the computer short circuited, caused the inverter give full output and it blew a fuse. Probably a large one near the batteries.

No I didn't.

Inverter/charger combo unit was in charge only & 240v was coming directly from shore power bypassing my inverter.

It's not the computer (I know about computers)

I looked at the 12v wiring for telly & car stereo, & sure enough 2 black wires had come out, so I've fixed that & it works again.

The bit I don't get, it's a completely different circuit to my 240v, & it's about 4 feet away from each other, never the twain shall meet n all that. So I don't possibly see how unplugging the 240v plug socket (or even taking it apart) could have possibly affected the 12v, as in I didn't accidentally pull the 12v wires when unplugging or taking apart the 240v socket.

I was messing with the car stereo 2 days ago & can easily see how I pulled the wires out for that & the telly.

Does plugging anything else into that socket cause the same effect ?

Does plugging that 4-way adaptor into another socket cause the effect ?

Perhaps the 12V cable runs behind it and a loose connection is being influenced by the plugging in of the adaptor ( or anything else ?)

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Its known as sods law. The slight vibration you caused as the plug came out of the socket probably finally vibrated teh wires out fo contact that you displaced before.

Its the same reason why cars/engines never show any symptoms when a mechanic is in attendance.

No I didn't.

Inverter/charger combo unit was in charge only & 240v was coming directly from shore power bypassing my inverter.

It's not the computer (I know about computers)

I looked at the 12v wiring for telly & car stereo, & sure enough 2 black wires had come out, so I've fixed that & it works again.

The bit I don't get, it's a completely different circuit to my 240v, & it's about 4 feet away from each other, never the twain shall meet n all that. So I don't possibly see how unplugging the 240v plug socket (or even taking it apart) could have possibly affected the 12v, as in I didn't accidentally pull the 12v wires when unplugging or taking apart the 240v socket.

I was messing with the car stereo 2 days ago & can easily see how I pulled the wires out for that & the telly.

Theory; Are your batteries in good health? As your combi would have been providing a good voltage and current, turning this off may cause the TV to turn off due to the sudden lack of voltage/current? If my combi (Victron) has a poor 240v input and I suddenly add a large current like a vacuum cleaner it can switch off for around 30 seconds. To test this, turn TV on, then switch combi off so not charging batteries.

Edited by Robbo

Batteries are good. No 240x being used at the time it happened. The only 12x being used was fridge & TV.

Its known as sods law. The slight vibration you caused as the plug came out of the socket probably finally vibrated teh wires out fo contact that you displaced before.

Its the same reason why cars/engines never show any symptoms when a mechanic is in attendance.

I reckon it was this. I probably pulled the wires for the tv & radio almost out when I was messing with it a couple of days earlier.

I forgot the sound from the computer is wires into the back off the car radio, & moving the PC probably put those wires to the point off only just touching their connection.

& then finally unplugging from the socket (which was very stiff) caused enough vibration to finish the job off.

Thanks for the help. All it's working fine apart from my stupid dead computer (having just started a 2 year contract for mifi grr)