Black flecks in my water...

Featured Posts

Not all the time, just more often lately, black flecks - look a bit like tea leaves - in my water. All taps, but less from the kitchen tap where I have a Jabsco filter.

When it's running low it goes brownish all through. These flecks occur when it's still clear and are a new development.

Any suggestions what's going on and how I could sort it?

As far as I'm aware the tank was bitumen painted 4-5 years ago, no liner. I haven't yet done any sterilisation routine (lived aboard 18 months). I quite fancy doing this anyway, whether it would deal with the 'tea leaves' or not, but I'd need to be sure what's best to use. Milton is often recommended. Would I be OK to discharge this into the cut, or should I retrieve it all and dispose of it more responsibly?

Any advice much appreciated. B.C.

If you can I'd start with a visual inspection of the tank, whatever the bits are if there's lots in there then removal should

be first, followed by treatment and re blacking if required.

running brownish when low does suggest time to clean & re-black the tank

springy

Are the flecks soft or hard? Soft would suggest the flecks are dirt / slime falling off the sides / bottom of the tank, hard flecks would suggest the coating is breaking down and falling off.

If the former you may well get away with a super chlorination clean of the tank (see my reply post #3 in "Water tank" in Equipment discussion). If the latter follow up with re-coating as suggested by springy above.

Edited by Woodsy