Shower pump runs but doesn't remove the water

Peter X

Featured Posts

Help! I'm posting this on behalf of paulmeds, on whose boat I am currently crewing.

As per the title, we find when we switch on the shower pump that we hear it run but the water stays put in the tray, leaving us to bale it out with a dustpan and jug.

We know we have the correct switch because it's clearly labelled and was working two days ago.

We don't know what make of pump it is because we don't know where it is! Where would it normally be?

We have some tools on the boat and some basic DIY know how, but we're not sure what we're doing with this.

Existing shower pump topics tell us that some shower pumps have filters which need cleaning, so perhaps that's the problem... we'd have to find the pump to do it of course.

We had hoped to buy a sink plunger today to see if that could remove a blockage (but shopping opportunities on the Thames from King's Lock to Goring were limited); might that work? As we're passing through Reading onto the Kennet tomorrow perhaps there will be a suitable shop near the route?

Yes sounds like a filter, especially if it makes a continuous whirring noise rather than a gulping noise. Typically at the bottom of a cupboard adjacent to the shower (but not necessarily in the bathroom) and a clue might be had by identifying the hull outlet hole - the pump is likely to be between the hole and the shower.

Ours does this ever so often - bizarrely if we stick our hand out the bathroom window and cover over the outlet hole on the outside of the boat it starts working again. It's like some kind of air lock or something. Then it will for just fine for a few showers before it needs to be sorted out again.

The pump for ours is behind the loo - Dave has had it out and can't see anything wrong with the pumppost-20365-0-67044000-1436481773_thumb.jpg

I think we need the OP to say whether the pump is makes a gulping noise, or a steady hum. This will identify which type of pump; the advise for each being totally different...

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Can't you find it by following the noise.

I had the same problem with my shower pump, and so cleaned the filter as well as taking apart the pump and cleaning that, but it still didn't work. I had some success kick starting it by squirting a hose up the outlet while the pump was running, but it was hit and miss whether the pump would work with each shower, and getting out of the shower to fire a hose up the outlet was getting tiresome. In the end, as my pump was 25 years old, I solved the problem with a new Jabsco one.

To cover another of the OP's questions, on the outskirts of Reading the OP will first encounter a boatyard on the right, at Tilehurst. Reasonable chandlery and spares in there. Next, there will be Better Boating on the left just after Caversham Lock and before Kennetmouth. Shite chandlery last time I was there, but nice people and a working yard.

The nearest (only) town centre DIY place is Homebase. Turn right and go up the Kennet, through Blakes Lock then turn right at the branch then you'll be in the backwater where you can moor up right outside with all the other CMers. Finally, if all else fails, turn left after Kennetmouth into T&K marina and ask in there. Passable but limited chandlery and they keep a long list of engineers you can call out if you decide you want it fixed NOW, money no object.

I think we need the OP to say whether the pump is makes a gulping noise, or a steady hum. This will identify which type of pump; the advise for each being totally different...

It's a steady hum, not loud, only really audible from inside the shower.

I've looked inside every cupboard near to the shower, including those in the galley backing on to it, and the best possibility is that there's a plug (not labelled, no switch) under the galley worktop from which a lead goes down behind the back of the base unit. I can't see how to dismantle the back, so to get to whatever that powers would mean destroying a chunk of Paul's nice fitted units, which I'm not contemplating!

We're under way approaching Mapledurham lock then Tilehurst, so I can't look for the pump outlet yet, but might be able to get a quick look at the lock. Perhaps I should be looking for an opportunity to moor up and put the engine off so we can hear the pump better, at or before we get to our planned stop at Reading Tesco's.

Following MtB's suggestion, Paul contacted the previous owner who told us where to find the pump, under the floor of a cupboard between the bathroom and galley. it's a Jabasco model 37202-2012, which is connected, by a 6" length of white plastic hose about an inch in diameter with clips at each end, to a round black box of about 2.5" diameter. Is that a filter? What do I do next please?

The pump is a diaphragm pump, and the black box is probably a filter. It should be possible to take the cover off the filter and clean the element: you will only need a screwdriver for a couple of screws.

Do that before thinking about replacing the pump -- or before even getting a service kit (much cheaper than a pump) to replace diaphragm etc.

To cover another of the OP's questions, on the outskirts of Reading the OP will first encounter a boatyard on the right, at Tilehurst. Reasonable chandlery and spares in there. Next, there will be Better Boating on the left just after Caversham Lock and before Kennetmouth. Shite chandlery last time I was there, but nice people and a working yard.

The nearest (only) town centre DIY place is Homebase. Turn right and go up the Kennet, through Blakes Lock then turn right at the branch then you'll be in the backwater where you can moor up right outside with all the other CMers. Finally, if all else fails, turn left after Kennetmouth into T&K marina and ask in there. Passable but limited chandlery and they keep a long list of engineers you can call out if you decide you want it fixed NOW, money no object.

It's a steady hum, not loud, only really audible from inside the shower.

I've looked inside every cupboard near to the shower, including those in the galley backing on to it, and the best possibility is that there's a plug (not labelled, no switch) under the galley worktop from which a lead goes down behind the back of the base unit. I can't see how to dismantle the back, so to get to whatever that powers would mean destroying a chunk of Paul's nice fitted units, which I'm not contemplating!

We're under way approaching Mapledurham lock then Tilehurst, so I can't look for the pump outlet yet, but might be able to get a quick look at the lock. Perhaps I should be looking for an opportunity to moor up and put the engine off so we can hear the pump better, at or before we get to our planned stop at Reading Tesco's.

Following MtB's suggestion, Paul contacted the previous owner who told us where to find the pump, under the floor of a cupboard between the bathroom and galley. it's a Jabasco model 37202-2012, which is connected, by a 6" length of white plastic hose about an inch in diameter with clips at each end, to a round black box of about 2.5" diameter. Is that a filter? What do I do next please?

Last things first:-

The round black box is most likely a filter. The top screws off - have towels or something handy to wipe up any water that drains out. Inside is a stainless steel gauze element. wipe that with an old tooth brush and replace.

If you're at Tesco's then Better Boating is the other side of a small iasland with boats on it. The chandlery is getting better - but he might help you IF you're very polite... ALSO he's doing 10P off per litre of Diesel. if you present him with a copy of Towpath news for July (whatever it's called). He has a stack of them in the shop. Valid for the whole of July - as many as you like.

Yes the bloke in Better Boating has a thoroughly undeserved reputation for being a miserable moany old curmudgeon. In my personal experience he is a bundle of laughs and a complete ray of sunshine who brightens one' day.

ninja.gif

MtB

Yes the bloke in Better Boating has a thoroughly undeserved reputation for being a miserable moany old curmudgeon. In my personal experience he is a bundle of laughs and a complete ray of sunshine who brightens one' day.

ninja.gif

MtB

Oh yes,

As with many folk, you have to 'work' him. Be polite, almost grovelling - then he warms up a bit... Some people are shy; perhaps that's it.

After all, there are very few places on the River where you can buy fuel at reasonable prices (for the Thames, that is). T&K next door will only do 60/40 and their fuel pontoon can be a challenge to get off. Otherwise you're stuck with nowt between Bray and Abingdon (I'm excluding those who charge too much).

Fixed! Thank you everyone for your help.

Paul undid the filter, cleaned it, and now the shower pump works. At least for now...

Now ignoring all boatyards and chandlers as we filled up with diesel at Abingdon, and in a few minutes we reach Tesco's to replenish Paul's beer supply.

Glad it's fixed!

Those filters are a waste of time. You will forever be cleaning it and as you have found out, its not very accessible.

Best thing I did was to replace the filter and pump with a Gulper pump. Just keeps on working!

Glad it's fixed!

Those filters are a waste of time. You will forever be cleaning it and as you have found out, its not very accessible.

Best thing I did was to replace the filter and pump with a Gulper pump. Just keeps on working!

Seconded. Gulpers are more or less bombproof and don't need a filter. Far superior and well worth the money.