Featured Posts

My Lister 2 cylinder wc engine has been diagnosed as having a faulty water pump as well as requires new hosing for the cooling system (header tank filled). I am having real problems getting an engineer to come out to do the work. Can anyone recommend an engineer that is happy to work in London. I am moored in E5, close to Springfield Park.

Many thanks in advance.

My Lister 2 cylinder wc engine has been diagnosed as having a faulty water pump as well as requires new hosing for the cooling system (header tank filled). I am having real problems getting an engineer to come out to do the work. Can anyone recommend an engineer that is happy to work in London. I am moored in E5, close to Springfield Park.

Many thanks in advance.

It would be useful if you were to specify the model / type.

The water pump is a Jabsco and probably needs a new impeller, easy to fit. 6 little screws holding the pumps top plate, remove and hook out the old impeller with snipe nose pliers. Cleghorn Waring ''Jabsco'' are at Icknield Way Letchworth.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for your suggestions. Impeller has already been replaced. The annoying thing is the jabsco pump was also replaced a couple of years ago but now RCR have told me it was probably faulty at time of installation...grrrr... As the engine is overheating and the pipework not circulating water sufficiently, I can't move the boat. A reliable, experienced mobile engineer is what I am searching for.

Thanks Larkshall, I am going to look into agricultural mobile engineersclapping.gif

Have you got a raw water system - one that sucks water out of the canal and pumps it through the engine?

If you have, is the inlet clear, the strainer clear and the stop valve open?

Richard

Thanks for your suggestions. Impeller has already been replaced. The annoying thing is the jabsco pump was also replaced a couple of years ago but now RCR have told me it was probably faulty at time of installation...grrrr... As the engine is overheating and the pipework not circulating water sufficiently, I can't move the boat. A reliable, experienced mobile engineer is what I am searching for.

Thanks Larkshall, I am going to look into agricultural mobile engineersclapping.gif

The water tubes going in and out of those pumps are pretty small bore and it's very possible that a bit of impeller vane has broken off in the past and caused a blockage, or they can easily become blocked by rust and gunge. I'd try disconnecting and blowing them through.

• Greenie 1

The water tubes going in and out of those pumps are pretty small bore and it's very possible that a bit of impeller vane has broken off in the past and caused a blockage, or they can easily become blocked by rust and gunge. I'd try disconnecting and blowing them through.

And with the pumps top plate removed, turn the engine over 'without starting it' to make sure the pump impeller is rotating. There should be a screw in the impeller which locates in a slot in the shaft which drives it. The pumps are skew gear driven and are quite simple and generally very reliable as there's not much to go wrong.

This is really helpful info Bizzard. I was under the impression the engineer would have done that when he replaced the impeller, but it is definitely worth me having a go.

RWLP, actually it's not raw water, I fill it from a header tank which I am told is a unique design for listers i.e. this seems to be an anomaly as engineers all claim to have never seen another like it.

This is really helpful info Bizzard. I was under the impression the engineer would have done that when he replaced the impeller, but it is definitely worth me having a go.

RWLP, actually it's not raw water, I fill it from a header tank which I am told is a unique design for listers i.e. this seems to be an anomaly as engineers all claim to have never seen another like it.

Not that unique, quite a few about. I have a boat moored behind me with and STW3, skin cooled with header tank.

Incidentally, there's a thermostat in a housing close by that pump, worth checking also.

Edited by bizzard