Recommendations on replacing Webasto

Rambling

Featured Posts

My webasto constantly broke down last winter and I dont want another winter the same.

So I want to replace it.

Recommendations anyone? What is the latest with central heating systems? Anything out there a bit more bulletproof?

If you are who I think you are and we had a shouted discussion across the river about this last week then I think you said the Webasto has developed a leak. (The boat name is different but then I can not read what looks like Welsh).

Somewhere on this site is a topic about a Webasto that suffered from corrosion in its aluminium heat exchanger. See http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=74797&page=1

Maybe this is what is wrong with yours. I also got a similar question via Canal Boat and that chap had got through 3 heat exchangers. NMEA of this forum suggested a way to use an anode to prevent this.

If and its a big if, you are that person, then if the problem is a corroded heat exchanger I would suggest that whatever you eventually go for you avoid aluminium heat exchangers if possible, if it is not avoid copper in the heating system and fit an anode as described in the above topic.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Webasto heaters will last years if used properly ie a couple of hours in the morning to heat boat and water for when you get up, then a couple in the evening. NOT 24/7 like a domestic boiler, get yours repaired or serviced and use this way and all will be good.

Neil

Well this one is 7 yrs old. I am looking in here Tony for info on the Hurricane. I think I might go for that. Totally replace the system. Just seeing what people are saying about them.

That is the best thing to do. Talk to lots of people and get as much info and opinions as you can. Then you should be in a better position to make an informed decision. I would comment that it seem that Hurricane have had some problem with faulty combustion air fan motor assemblies but I think they are a bit cheaper than new Webasto heat exchangers. I suspect Hurricane changed suppliers and I have not heard much about it recently.

There are very few in use in the UK when compared with the number of Webasto/Eberspacher/Mikuni type heaters so there will not be a very large body of experience in the UK. Before you make your final decision it might eb a good idea to visit Calcutt Boats and get them to show you how the Hurricane works. Then compare it to the Webasto types. See if you think you could service it.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I think Kubola have stopped supplying 12/24 volt diesel boilers so using one would require an inverter on all the time. Their stoves are, I think, pot burners like Bubble stoves so I am not sure those are either time switch or thermostat controllable.

It Kubola do still do 12V boilers then providing the electrical load is similar I think it would be a good choice.

If you want to use it more like a home boiler then the hurricane is probably a good bet, but as Tony said see if you can look at one working at calcutt or better still ask them for contacts that have them fitted.

Neil

Usually Webasto issues are down to poor installation.

If installed by a Webasto trained tech it will come with a decent guarantee and be quite reliable, Mr NMEA may be along at some point to advise, though he's probably booked up himself for a while.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I think Rambling is a livaboard and has a stove but it will not heat all the boat, especially the bedroom. I get the impression that she wants a boiler of some sort to come on in the morning and may be when she gets back from work in the winter.

I feel that a gas boiler might be a good option despite their higher fuel costs because of their fast warm up but that brings up right up against the Alde "no copper rule" if its to be a 3000 series boiler. I think the 2900 series would have a too heavy consumption and if left on over night.

I do not know the history of her Webasto but for far too many eh Webasto/Mikuni/Eberspacher type heaters have been a disaster so many would prefer a different system. Saying this I know things should be better now we have low sulphur fuel and as long as the installation was done properly.

I do not think she has a shoreline but possibly runs a generator to augment 4 solar panels so there may be a voltage issue in the winter which is another reason I think gas might be a candidate - much lower current draw by the spark igniter.

Please can we have a lot more discussion about the options, especially if you have a Hurricane, and I know some members do. Also more input on the Kubola idea.

We have a Hurricane system. I think it's brilliant. 13 years old now and never misses a beat. It is our only form of heating so needs to be 100% reliable. 1000 hours between services, which is a simple DIY affair as it is basically cleaning it. I first came across this system in Canada many years ago where they are used to heat log cabins in the wilderness. Designed to be switched on in the autumn and switched off in spring. I have heard about the issue of a batch unreliable compressors but I understand it was when a change of supplier was made, but the issue was quickly resolved. I haven't heard of any issues with the current models. I was passing Calcutts in early June so had them do the annual service and they commented on how good a condition it was still in. If mine ever finally gives up the ghost, I will certainly replace it with another Hurricane.

Ken

The new Kabola compact 7 is a cracking beastie and built like a brick out house but much larger and massively heavier KW for KW than a Webo, Eber, MV etc. They do need AC mains so depending on your power availability would be a possible solution either from shore power or via an inverter, they use very little current, just a fuel pump, fan and water pump. Before being able to comment accurately I would need to know more about the OPs power availability, budget, expectations and room available for the install along with the current loading of the radiators. All that said there is no real reason why a properly installed and set up Webasto shouldn't be reliable provided the limitations as mentioned by users earlier in this thread are accepted.

Edited by NMEA

Unfortunately I don't have constant access to shore power, so system would need to be 12v as I wouldn't want to leave my inverter on all the time. I don't have enough battery power as yet, but that all needs upgrading as well. I have a 3000w victim & 4 x 100 A leisures, which are a bit knackered but still work (just).

The webasto worked well when it did work, but it sooted up, leaked & for me just wasn't reliable enough. In total last year after fixing, it worked for 4 weeks in total of the winter. I would stick with it if I thought it would work but my best mates Webasto for years has gone wrong, plus reading on the forums, it would appear that it isn't really up to the job & dozens of people have issues with them. I want a different system,

i had webasto 90s it failed with the red derv of last 5 years. supplier said try webasto 2010 its bullet proof - and it is.

ken

Yes the DBW2010 is a cracker, its a proper pressure jet not an evaporater principle like the smaller heaters and thats where most if not all of the issues stem from. I assumed the OP has a Thermo Top C or E (possibly wrongly) in which case it would massively over gun the job, but an ideal replacement for a T90 as you have discovered. Extensively used by the MOD in arctic vehicles, both combat and support.

Edited by NMEA

We have a Hurricane system. I think it's brilliant. 13 years old now and never misses a beat. It is our only form of heating so needs to be 100% reliable. 1000 hours between services, which is a simple DIY affair as it is basically cleaning it. I first came across this system in Canada many years ago where they are used to heat log cabins in the wilderness. Designed to be switched on in the autumn and switched off in spring. I have heard about the issue of a batch unreliable compressors but I understand it was when a change of supplier was made, but the issue was quickly resolved. I haven't heard of any issues with the current models. I was passing Calcutts in early June so had them do the annual service and they commented on how good a condition it was still in. If mine ever finally gives up the ghost, I will certainly replace it with another Hurricane.

Ken

I wonder how easy it would be to fit a Hurricane to an existing CH system and calorifer in place of an old eberspacher that's been taken out? I guess the wiring looms are the most difficult bit?