Inverter Issues

peterboat

Featured Posts

I have a 3000w pure sine wave inverter on board it powers the microwave, washing machine, dishwasher, TV etc.

It wont power my new vax hoover or charge my Renault twizy EV which is 1900-2200watts charger.

The output is 242 volts when I connect it to the twizy it doesnt register overload it just loses voltage almost like it cant talk to it.

Paul a friend of mine has a 2500watt inverter it charges the twizy fine its a right pain and I am hoping that where I bought it from can explain whats wrong but I am putting it out here to see if anyone else can explain why

Cheers all

Peter

Both the devices you mention are likely to have a poor power factor (read high start current). Sounds like your inverter (what make?) can't cope with this. Others have soft start option which may explain why your charger works with lower power one.

Have you tried running these devices from your inverter with engine running, since 2200 watts is a very heavy load?

I don't know about the Twizzy, but hasn't the Vax got one of those digitally controlled charge circuits, as well as a DC motor like the Dyson rechargeables. Dunno if circuitry is getting confussed.

OP doesn't say whether the Vax can be charged from his friends setup. Might be useful info.

Edited by larkshall

Inverter is 3000w pure sine wave and handles autowasher and dishwasher which both draw nearly 3000w without engine running I have 1500 ah of full travtion batteries plus nearly 1k watts of solar panels the vax is a normal cable vax not a rechargable

Peter

Twizzy may well have a clever SMPSU that the inverter can't deal with. Try it with a 230v tungstan lamp on the inverter as well as the twizzy.

The lamp may also help the VAX.

I was going to load it to see if it helps I dont really want to buy a low frequency inverter as this one has been so good and you never know what problems a different type might throw up?

Peter

Twizzy may well have a clever SMPSU that the inverter can't deal with. Try it with a 230v tungstan lamp on the inverter as well as the twizzy.

The lamp may also help the VAX.

Happy to report 25 watt tungsten bulb glowing and Le Twiz charging will recover the vax from other Jaynes and try that deep joy icecream.gif

Peter

Happy to report 25 watt tungsten bulb glowing and Le Twiz charging will recover the vax from other Jaynes and try that deep joy icecream.gif

Peter

Glad to have been of help, its interesting just how many times something as simple as this creates a result.

Now for more thoughts what is the make/model of the inverter and is there any way of interogating the inverter and changing settings the way you can on a Victron?

My thoughts are that it could well be down to the way the power saving works.

Edited by Loddon

Glad to have been of help, its interesting just how many times something as simple as this creates a result.

Now for more thoughts what is the make/model of the inverter and is there any way of interogating the inverter and changing settings the way you can on a Victron?

My thoughts are that it could well be down to the way the power saving works.

Its something that M and R controls had made for them its 3000 watt pure sine wave wasnt expensive but is made with EU/USA/UK components for reliability it has to be truthful a great piece of equipment far better than the 2 vetus ones before it both of which caught firesick.gif one on the trent mass panic putting that out

Peter