Proprotector

DaveR

Featured Posts

I have been reading the discussion thread about 'What's in your propeller' and have found a Proprotector blade at ASAP Supplies (item #810173) - sorry a link is not available.

With these being the best part of £100 - are they worth while? Does anyone have any experience of these?

Thank you

Dave R

:lol:

Well Dave, we don't get the stuff round our prop that much so it really depends

WHERE you are cruising - i.e. if you are cruising on a River like the Thames you will hardly ever get anything round your prop

WHEN you are cruising - if you only cruise in the summer there are not as many old dead bits of tree in the cut.

That £100 doesn't include fitting which I'm sure would involve getting the boat out of the water.

Paul,

There are 2 versions of the Proprotecter. 1 which is fitted with the boat out of the water and the other is fitted in two halves round the shaft by Allen bolts.

I don't have one but looked into getting one for future fitting.

Colin

I can see a cutter being useful on a high revving outboard where it could probably deal easily with a fishing net - or on an outdrive - but I'm almost certain that a slow rotating narrowboat propshaft wouldn't work so well.

A length of rope will just get tangled round the cutter as well as the prop making unravelling it even more tricky.

Just my opinion though.

We have a Spurs Shaft mounted cutter linky

- it seams to work fine, certainly as far as i know we've never had any think get traped round our prop yet.

- It was fitted when the boat was build, and hasnt caused a problem since, every 4/5 years when we get the bottom done we replace the bushings (only a few pounds) and it carrys on running perfectly.

- My granddad has even once changed the bearing though the weed hatch. (because he forgot to order a new bearing in time to get it while we where in dry dock, and he felt it should be changed)

daniel

Evening gents,

Thank you for the info, Daniel what you have on the EmilyAnne looks the buisness and I will look into this again for next year when I am due for a haul out.

Clevett says that prop fouling doesn't occur too often, but is it often enough to consider lashing out on one of these just to save having to dive down through the weed hatch and into the unknown. Some of the stories on the thread of 'What around your propeller' do not sound too good at all.

Thank you

Dave R

Perhaps we are lucky, when we had the padded jacket round it was several years ago. In 20 years of boating I have only needed to do weedhatch duties twice, so in my opinion proprotectors would not have been worth the outlay.

Daniel what you have on the EmilyAnne looks the buisness and I will look into this again for next year when I am due for a haul out.

Yeah, its pritty solid!!, and the clever bit is that, unless somthing is actually in it, geting cut, the two blades DONT TOUCH!! - there atleast 1mm apart and only come together when they need to. This means the they dont get worn , the only thing that should ware is the nylon bushing halfs.

daniel

Bernie.

Are you really saying that you have been fouled up only twice in 20 years!

I think you must be one of that small group of people that fate has smiled upon, you haven't stumbled across a holy grail at some time or perhaps pulled one out of your weed-hatch.

You should start buying lottery tickets.

Bernie.

Are you really saying that you have been fouled up only twice in 20 years!

I think you must be one of that small group of people that fate has smiled upon, you haven't stumbled across a holy grail at some time or perhaps pulled one out of your weed-hatch.

You should start buying lottery tickets.

Yes John, we have been very lucky so far. Watch this space I have probably now tempted fate. The bits of plastic etc: that do manage to get caught up have been quickly dispersed with a few reverse thrusts. I do buy lottery tickets but have only ever won the odd tenner. :lol:

i emailed spurs uk for the prices

As a rough guide please find following prices for our various models of Spurs Cutter.  Each model is suitable for several shaft diameters,

Model A - £250.00 plus carriage and VAT

Model B - £285.00 plus carriage and VAT

Model C - £370.00 plus carriage and VAT

Model D - £470.00 plus carriage and VAT

Model E - £560.00 plus carriage and VAT

Model F - £650.00 plus carriage and VAT

Model F1 - £830.00 plus carriage and VAT

Model F2 - £1170.00 plus carriage and VAT

Model F3 - £1490.00 plus carriage and VAT

It depends apon the diameter of your prop shaft, and the size of cutter you want, i our is the smallest cutter we could get for aour prop dia, but it is quite a large diameter propshaft.

We fit the Prop Protector.

They use the following in their advertising:-

Dear Sirs

Whilst having our 55ft. narrowboat built by Ledgard Bridge Boat Company Ltd. of Mirfield we decided to have one of your Prop Protectors fitted prior to launch, it was one of the best decisions that we could have made!

We recently decided to cruise the Chesterfield Canal. This canal is notorious for its weed problem, This year it is even worse due to the problems of foot and Mouth leading to the lack of weed cutting. Many people warned us of the difficulties we would have, but during the whole of the 58 miles round trip we did not hove to stop once while all around us people were turning back because they were forever having to clear their props.

We have recommended your product to many people quoting our experiences an the Chesterfield Canal .

Yours faithfully

“A satisfied Customer”

You can find a link to the Prop Protector site below we can also supply them at the manafacturers RRP direct to the public :-

http://www.ledgardbridge-boatcompany.com/h..._protector.html

Gary