Castleford boatyard

sewinglady

Featured Posts

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

Has anyone had any adverse dealing with Castleford Boatyard owned by Shane Jones, It was previously known as supreme marine which his brother Damion owned.

I would be interested in hearing from you if you have been asked to pay money up front for work to be done or to buy a boat from them and then find that they drag their feet over getting the work done or even giving you the boat.

Anything you tell me will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

Has anyone had any adverse dealing with Castleford Boatyard owned by Shane Jones, It was previously known as supreme marine which his brother Damion owned.

I would be interested in hearing from you if you have been asked to pay money up front for work to be done or to buy a boat from them and then find that they drag their feet over getting the work done or even giving you the boat.

Anything you tell me will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Not on your particular subject but I only ever tried to use them twice and found them particularly unhelpful. Once when needing what really should have been a relatively easy to obtain small part for the boat and another when I called in for diesel to discover they no longer stocked it even though their web site stated they did.

I think it was probably Shane I dealt with on both occasions.

No problems and what I've seen a very busy place, their docks are always full with boats being blackened and one of the only places in the area where you can get large widebeams blackened. they have spent some money on the dry docks over the last year and they look like they are slowly getting the place done up. I think their only problem is that they may be more busy then they expected especially this time of year and over run with their timings.

You say in confidence somehow posting on here I don't think that will happen and may turn out a bit negative if anyone has a gripe with them.

What is your issue? have you had any dealings with them?

Edited by Northernboater

No problems and what I've seen a very busy place, their docks are always full with boats being blackened and one of the only places in the area where you can get large widebeams blackened. they have spent some money on the dry docks over the last year and they look like they are slowly getting the place done up. I think their only problem is that they may be more busy then they expected especially this time of year and over run with their timings.

You say in confidence somehow posting on here I don't think that will happen and may turn out a bit negative if anyone has a gripe with them.

What is your issue? have you had any dealings with them?

Parted with £14000 cash on 1 October 2014 to buy a boat and pay for work doing to get her back in water i.e put engine back in, rebuild cockpit and interior. He said it would take about 4-5 week to do. 6 very stressful months later he finally agreed to give us our money back as he had done sweet FA with the boat apart from get the name painted on the hull. That was end of march. over last 2 months he has made promise after promise to give us our money but blames no work coming in so he hasn't the cash to give us. Refusing to speak to us now.

Next stage is to take him to court so the confidence bit was just to reassure people i will not use their experiences as evidence, unless anyone want to join us in getting him to court.

We left our boat with them in autumn 2013, when they were still Supreme Marine. They were supposed to repaint the cabin and black the hull and water tank. Twice we came to collect the boat on the agreed date only to find little bits not finished (e.g. the back doors). In the end we gave up and took it as was, as it was getting into stoppage season, but realised that (in spite of several assurances to the contrary) the water tank had not even been blacked. We then spent several months chasing Shane for that portion of what we'd paid, without success. Thankfully we'd paid for the work on our credit card and were able to get that money back from HSBC under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, but I wouldn't do business with him again.

Edited by magictime
  • Greenie 1

Parted with £14000 cash on 1 October 2014 to buy a boat and pay for work doing to get her back in water i.e put engine back in, rebuild cockpit and interior. He said it would take about 4-5 week to do. 6 very stressful months later he finally agreed to give us our money back as he had done sweet FA with the boat apart from get the name painted on the hull. That was end of march. over last 2 months he has made promise after promise to give us our money but blames no work coming in so he hasn't the cash to give us. Refusing to speak to us now.

Next stage is to take him to court so the confidence bit was just to reassure people i will not use their experiences as evidence, unless anyone want to join us in getting him to court.

Was it a plastic or a narrowboat? It sounds like it needed a lot of work to get it on the water, maybe you would of been better off buying from a broker that deals with selling boats not a boatyard that seams to mainly deal with blackening and re-paints.

I don't think it matters whether it's a plastic or a narrowboat-if they've promised to do work,it should happen.Northern Boater,you sound v much on the side of the boatyard- any reason ?

Agree totally.....

Agree totally.....

Yeh you would,

I wouldn't buy a boat from them as it seams to be a working boat yard and not somewhere you would go to buy a boat. As every time I have passed I have only seen quite neglected boats being lived on or older boats that are being done up, defiantly not the kind of boats you see in a respectable brokerage, MJG you have just put your boat up for sale, didn't you fancy taking it there to sell as it was only a short trip from where you were moored?

I think it would be a place you may visit looking for a cheap boat on a budget of what the OP has lost. I certainly wouldn't buy a boat from there.

I don't think it matters whether it's a plastic or a narrowboat-if they've promised to do work,it should happen.Northern Boater,you sound v much on the side of the boatyard- any reason ?

I have passed there many times and it does not strike me as a place you would go to buy a boat. unless your looking for a budget boat to do up. Defiantly not a place that looks like they are an established brokerage with a large sales fleet.

Edited by Northernboater

Yeh you would,

I wouldn't buy a boat from them as it seams to be a working boat yard and not somewhere you would go to buy a boat. As every time I have passed I have only seen quite neglected boats being lived on or older boats that are being done up, defiantly not the kind of boats you see in a respectable brokerage, MJG you have just put your boat up for sale, didn't you fancy taking it there to sell as it was only a short trip from where you were moored?

I think it would be a place you may visit looking for a cheap boat on a budget of what the OP has lost. I certainly wouldn't buy a boat from there.

Why on earth would I put my boat up for sale there? When it cost a small proportion of its worth to move it to a reputable brokerage utilising a reputable boat mover...

Why on earth would I put my boat up for sale there? When it cost a small proportion of its worth to move it to a reputable brokerage utilising a reputable boat mover...

Just like you wouldn't go there to buy a boat, always use a respectable broker when buying or you could end up like the OP,

Do you know anyone that has bought a boat from them?

Just like you wouldn't go there to buy a boat, always use a respectable broker when buying or you could end up like the OP,

Do you know anyone that has bought a boat from them?

I have no idea where you are going with this.

My boat is on brokerage with my choice of broker, beyond that I have no idea what you are on about.

I have no idea where you are going with this.

My boat is on brokerage with my choice of broker, beyond that I have no idea what you are on about.

It's not about you or your boat, what I'm saying is that I or anyone that knows Castleford would not go there to buy a boat as it does not give the impression of a respectable boat brokerage just a working boat yard. or do you disagree?

It's not about you or your boat, what I'm saying is that I or anyone that knows Castleford would not go there to buy a boat as it does not give the impression of a respectable boat brokerage just a working boat yard. or do you disagree?

Ah right....

Given the direction this thread has taken, I'd like to reiterate what the Bearwood Boster said @ #9, above: if Castleford Boatyard took the money for the boat and the work on it, they should have done the work and supplied the boat, or else refunded the money. I'm sure it hasn't escaped the OP's attention that, with hindsight, she would have been better off buying elsewhere, but at the end of the day she is not the one at fault here. Given the awful experience she's living through, the "should've know better" tone of some of these comments seems a bit insensitive.

Edited by magictime

I think this comes down to one poster hVing seen the place and the rest of us not. I hope to OP paid by plastic. In the meantime I would be onto local trading standards to see if they know anything.

If you look at their web site there is no mention or boat sales or affiliation to any marine governing bodies

http://castlefordboatyard.co.uk/home/2457097

I would take a boat there for blackening and that is all.

Edited by Northernboater

If you look at their web site there is no mention or boat sales or affiliation to any marine governing bodies

http://castlefordboatyard.co.uk/home/2457097

I would take a boat there for blackening and that is all.

From the reports I've heard I wouldn't take it for blackening unless I was just hiring the dry dock and doing the work myself.

From the reports I've heard I wouldn't take it for blackening unless I was just hiring the dry dock and doing the work myself.

Interesting, our boat was once booked to be blacked there but circumstances changed and we had to cancel.

Well that's the way that I do it to, I've heard bad reports about every boat blackening dock in the area, but they can't please everyone so I just take it from my own experience and a the few experienced boaters that work in the trade.

Sewinglady,

If you haven't already done so, I think you should talk to a solicitor. From what you have said the chances of you never getting the money back look rather too high for comfort, so the sooner you put him under the threat of legal action the sooner he is likely to find that he does have the money after all.

And probably better not to say any more about the matter on a public forum like this.

Good luck!