Overnight Moorings Thames to Reading

mark99

Featured Posts

I do not like the Thames, it is merely the only way of getting from my mooring on the K&A to the main, narrow canal system in Oxford.

Nevertheless I have to pay the full CRT licence fee and the EA charges to get from the 90 miles of the K&A to the 2,000 miles of the rest of the CRT system.

Before the EA BOGOF offer I was refused a single day licence by the lock keeper at Osney but despite 'unusual delays for maintenance' and my <5mph I was back on BW waters within 10 hours (19:00), no refund allowed. The EA regulations used to limit day licences to four per year and two week licences to one per year, otherwise you needed to buy an annual licence or, more recently, an annual Gold Licence that I maintained for several years.

Forget the Thames, spend a day or two in Oxford, set off at first light (5am?) don't give EA a penny if you can help it. Moor-up after 9am and continue your journey after 5pm.

Alan

You could always go west along the K&A and access the 2000 miles from there.

We will be on Thames soon entering at Oxford and travelling down to Thames Kennet Marina where we lay up for 2 weeks.

Can you suggest overnight stopping places on Thames (assume we pay per night) before we get to Thames/Kennet Marina?

(looks like 2 overnight stops, 1 somewhere near Clifton Lock first night and near Pangbourne second night)?

TIA

When will you be getting to the Thames & Kennet Marina? I'll have to keep an eye out for you!

When will you be getting to the Thames & Kennet Marina? I'll have to keep an eye out for you!

I guess 6th June ish. If all goes well. smile.png

This is our bote. All forum members welcome to knock and meet.

20140930_161224_resized_zpsde6b9246.jpg

Edited by mark99

I guess 6th June ish. If all goes well. smile.png

This is our bote. All forum members welcome to knock and meet.

May see you en route - we usually wear a blue flag at the back.

Our annual

May see you en route - we usually wear a blue flag at the back.

Our annual pilgrimage to the narrow stuff....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to advice here is where we moored.

Warning image heavy.

Too windy to move = Kings Lock after hard time turning off the Dukes Cut.

20150602_182458_zpsy0ekdy73.jpg

Morning Shot From Porthole @ Abingdon.

20150604_071912_zpssc41vquj.jpg

Dinner at Thame Mouth

20150604_142046_zps3ovyltzj.jpg

Shelled out at Shillingford

20150604_192313_zpsv9bbds1v.jpg

Dinner @ Rossini - most excellent Italian food (former Old Letherene Bottel)

20150605_141504_zpswop89gg4.jpg

Final Night - C. Beale Pk

20150605_160734_zpsrjmkormd.jpg

Edited by mark99

M.

Good pictures, England at it's best, excellent pic at Abingdon. Some good moorings at Windsor, opposite the castle on the Eton side.

Looks as though you will have good weather to-day.

ATB.

Mike.

Mike

We are moored up for a couple of weeks at Reading before we go on Thames again.

Caversham yesterday was like Piccadilly Circus. Huge trip boats, aggressive rowers, skyscraper tiered gin palaces, drunken stag party and hen party. We added to the fray by failing to wind in the wind and had to pole off. :)

Lovely photos Mark - looks like you moored in the exact same spot as we did in Abingdon...so pretty

I think all towns on the rivers should be like Abingdon. Loads of 5 free days moorings. smile.png

Funny thing was, we had with us for first time, a 20kg anchor plus 10 m of very heavy chain and 10m super strong rope ........ just in case (and as sensibly needed for emergencies) for the Thames. "We are never gonna need it" I said to Kim........... then we made the first hard turn onto Thames off the Dukes Cut, we were suddenly blowing sideways on 52 mph winds towards the fecking weir.......... we came close to dumping the anchor overboard before we had even got onto the bluddy river proper!

After that nasty windy day, it was lovely. Until Caversham where the nutters emerged on the river.

Edited by mark99

Funny thing was, we had with us for first time, a 20kg anchor plus 10 m of very heavy chain and 10m super strong rope ........ just in case (and as sensibly needed for emergencies) for the Thames. "We are never gonna need it" I said to Kim........... then we made the first hard turn onto Thames off the Dukes Cut, we were suddenly blowing sideways on 52 mph winds towards the fecking weir.......... we came close to dumping the anchor overboard before we had even got onto the bluddy river proper!

You missed a treat using Duke's Cut instead of Sheepwash channel.

Several actually. The brooding, moody canal sections through the back of Jericho, Sheepwash channel itself passing under the railway turntable, the Trap Grounds, the Section 21 residential moorings fought so hard for, the beautifully quaint Isis Lock and the pool below right in the city centre, and loads more, all missed.

Using Dukes Cut instead of Sheepwash is a bit like choosing dinner at MacDonalds instead of Rossinis!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Using Dukes Cut instead of Sheepwash is a bit like choosing dinner at MacDonalds instead of Rossinis!

I had an itch to burn oil rather than tick past the boaters......... :)

We will use the other way next time.

Have you tried Rossini's?

Are you in Caversham now? Will keep an eye out when I get home.

We are moored in the T+K.