Unidentified engine

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I was talking to a chap today when I was filling up with water. His boat was a nice looking tug, he mentioned in passing that he was going to sell it. I've been keeping an eye out for a boat of this design, I really fancy having one. He said that it was built in 1989. The engine was older though. He said it was a 1948 engine, a Marnie, or something that sounded like that. I've done a google search for the engine, and another on here, and drawn a blank.

Anyone know of a diesel engine manufacturer around that time that time that sounds something like that?

Get it bought... loads of time to regret it then!

Yep, agreed!

Then you can read the name on it and tell us :D

(Why not ask the seller what it is?)

(Then post it here and we'll tell you all the reasons why you have to buy it!)

Possibly MAN, a German lorry manufacturer? I don't think Nanni were building engines as far back as that.

Edit: Nanni apparently dates back to the 1950s so, if the owner got the date slightly wrong, it's just about possible.

Edited by Athy

I was talking to a chap today when I was filling up with water. His boat was a nice looking tug, he mentioned in passing that he was going to sell it. I've been keeping an eye out for a boat of this design, I really fancy having one. He said that it was built in 1989. The engine was older though. He said it was a 1948 engine, a Marnie, or something that sounded like that. I've done a google search for the engine, and another on here, and drawn a blank.

Anyone know of a diesel engine manufacturer around that time that time that sounds something like that?

There is one here

http://stonediesel.en.alibaba.com/product/1954661338-213858379/Luxury_yacht_inboard_marine_engine_6BTA_M150_CUMMINS_MARNIE_ENGINE.html

Dave

I'll make some further inquiries! It's 57 foot with a long front deck. The bed is under the deck so it shouldn't be too cramped. The lines of the boat are lovely, the paint grey and black, my preferred colours. I've always wanted an 80's single cylinder 500 bike, no way could I string one across the stern, where my 125 currently sits. I reckon that front deck would hold one nicely though.

My impulsive nature is starting to kick in!

£30K for an 89 boat built with traditional lines, vintage engine, recent survey available, fair ball park price?

Black and Grey?

Bed under foredeck?

Could it be a Tug?

One on 'our' waters darn sarf - I think there were other(s). In this case the engine is an Armstrong Siddeley.

(Well it's a start for a discussion)

Black and Grey?

Bed under foredeck?

Could it be a Tug?

One on 'our' waters darn sarf - I think there were other(s). In this case the engine is an Armstrong Siddeley.

(Well it's a start for a discussion)

Well the OP states its a tug!

We just don't know which one, yet...

Especially when as you point out, 'Marnier' is almost an anagram of 'Marine'.

I wonder if the OP was being subtly teased by the bloke with the tug smile.png

...and "Marnie", which is what the OP actually wrote, is an exact anagram of it.

Most owners are proud of their boats and keen to talk about them; if they're selling the boat, all the more so. So I shouldn't think that the owner was tugging the OP's leg.

Just been past it on my kayak, the owner wasn't there. The paintwork isn't great. Looks like there was a name on there but not any more. All that's left is 'Shardlow' and 'no. 17'.