Winding near Droitwich

She25

Featured Posts

I've got chance to take my boat out one day next week but I need to be out and back in a day. Coming from Droitwich marina, where could I turn (57ft) either towards Tardebigge or towards Worcester (canal option, not river)

Thanks

I've got chance to take my boat out one day next week but I need to be out and back in a day. Coming from Droitwich marina, where could I turn (57ft) either towards Tardebigge or towards Worcester (canal option, not river)

Thanks

Centre of Droitwich at Netherwish basin or the Junction with the Worcs and Brum - neither would need anything like a full day for an out and back

I'm not aware of any winding holes further down towards the Severn but others may know.

good day out , up to black prince and turn there, good pub and bags of time to get back, please say hi as you pass use

Edited by fretman

Thanks everyone. I've been past Tibberton on the way to Worcester and back - lovely, and looked like there a nice pub. So I might try the Stoke Prior route. Fingers crossed for decent weather!

Astwood winding hole is the next one back from Stoke Prior http://canalplan.eu/gazetteer/5qln and 4 locks shorter than the Stoke Wharf winding hole.

Not sure on the boat length able to turn though. Google tells me the boat in the satellite picture is 67 feet long if thats anything to go by http://goo.gl/maps/T5gLm

Ade

There are few places to wind heading north from the Droitwich canal.

First is obviously too close, it's about 200 yards from the junction

Next is two locks up the Astwood flight, full length no problem, just a bit hard to see sometimes with the shrubbery growth

Next is through the bridge after the Boat and Railway, there's an old access under a bridge on the right hand side, you can get a 58ft round in there, but no cratch on the boat.

Next is at Black Prince, again full length but can be snug with all of the boats out of season.

After that it's a slog to the top of Tardebigge and the yard above lock 58

On the Droitwich canal you can wind , at the junction with the W&B, Into the marina, just below the river lock on the barge canal, and at Netherwitch basin, then it all becomes a little less precise, in my memory, There are two other wides on the summit one near the A38 bridge and one just before Salwarpe swing bridge. You may also be able to wind just before Ladywood Top Lock, but this is a short winding hole. designed for the pamarla, trip boat.

There is another wide below porters mill lock, and then its down to the Seven for the next wide I believe

Hoping this help