Broken fridge

mekatherine

Featured Posts

Hi

I've been living on my boat for 5 months now but only just realised the fridge has never worked. The light turns on when you open the door, and the socket it's plugged into appears to work with other appliances, so I've concluded from that the fridge is getting electrical supply. However, it doesn't matter what I turn the dual to inside the fridge, it never gets any colder, and I can't hear the hum of a compressor either. I've had a look at the back, but don't know enough about fridges to know if anything is missing, or needs to be connected to something else. Any ideas?

• Greenie 1

Hmm. If it's from Argos I suspect it's likely to be an ordinary domestic 240v one, which raises all sorts of questions about inverters / main hook up etc. At this point you'd need someone who knows about these things. A make and model number would aid some Googling to see if it's still out there on sale.

The sticker on the back seems to suggest that it's from Argos, so I think it's unlikely that it's a gas fridge (though I don't know that for sure). I'll try contacting the previous owners, and look for a switch.

Give it a good biff and rock it about on its feet. The compressor motor probably needs a nudge.

Might be the thermostat. Disconnect the 2 wires from the thermostat, link them together & see if the compressor runs. If it's 240 volts, only do this if you are competent with mains electricity.

Edited by Flyboy