Safe Mooring Stratford Canal

Chris3

Featured Posts

We are planning a route down the Severn to Tewkesury then up the Avon to Stratford and on to the Grand Union and beyond !. Would like to leave the boat on a safe mooring around Stratford so as to return home to cut the grass, change of socks etc., the usual stuff. Any ideas please.

Thanks in anticipation.

We are planning a route down the Severn to Tewkesury then up the Avon to Stratford and on to the Grand Union and beyond !. Would like to leave the boat on a safe mooring around Stratford so as to return home to cut the grass, change of socks etc., the usual stuff. Any ideas please.

Thanks in anticipation.

You don't say for how long, but you get 48 hrs in the basin and that is pretty safe (very public). Stratford is in general a genteel town so you'd probably be ok most places, and certainly once you get out of town. If you want "secure" you could approach Valley Cruisers who have a hire base/wharf on the edge of Stratford. Maybe they would accommodate you for a short time whilst their boats are out.

I depends on how long you want to leave it for. I left ours in Stratford basin while I went home, but you are limited to 48 hours. The visitor moorings in Wilmcote are also 48 hours I think, but you can moor off the end of them, and there are usually boats doing that. Wilmcote station is on the Stratford to Birmingham line.

The other excellent location if you wait until you come up the South Stratford is Lapworth. Plenty of 48 hour and 14 day moorings. The station there is on the Birmingham to Leamington line.

Thanks for the suggestions but I fear it will be at least a week. I spoke with Anglo Welsh at Wootton Wawen and they offered to raft the boat up with the hire fleet if they have room !

Are there any small yards or marinas close to Kingswood Junction that might help ?

Stratford is in general a genteel town so you'd probably be ok most places, and certainly once you get out of town.

Nonsense, and the out of town areas are the worst place to leave it.

Edited by Delta9

Not really, some online moorings, and the basin at Lapworth which is C&RT long term moorings, so there's no one there to ask about short term.

I wouldn't have a problem leaving a boat at Lapworth for a week or 2,it's fine there. In fact I'd leave Tawny anywhere on the Stratford up to and including Warings Green (your not going that far).

I'm also happy leaving her between Lapworth and Hatton on the GU. Very rarely do as she lives at the top of Hatton Locks, but no other reason not to.

Sue

A week, if you have that much grass get ride on biggrin.png

There is nothing really on the South Stratford, except Wootton Wawen, and Shire Cruises on a approach to Stratford. You can leave it for a week at Lapworth (Kingwood Junction) on the towpath, I would consider it to be as safe a location as any. The only other thing is the CRT long term moorings in the basin at the junction, perhaps if there is space they would let you use a pontoon.

If you went a bit further up the GU (about an hour), there is the Black Buoy Cruising Club. There is also a winding hole there.

Edited by john6767

Nonsense, and the out of town areas are the worst pace to leave it.

Have you had problems then? or just guessing.

We've never had problems on the Stratford, well excluding Tawny's middle aged spread, and the occasional gate with silt behind.

Sue

Have you had problems then? or just guessing.

We've never had problems on the Stratford, well excluding Tawny's middle aged spread, and the occasional gate with silt behind.

Sue

I'm from Stratford so I know the area fairly well. Two of my friends live on boats there and both have had multiple break-ins and vandalism to their boats and bikes stolen. Valley cruisers is the only place in or near town that I would consider to be a safe place to leave a boat between the basin and Wilmcote.

Edited by Delta9