Bent Propeller

Featured Posts

Hi Peeps.

Nice expensive cruise 2day as I have bent all three blades on the prop.......still first one Ive damaged in 26 years so hey ho.

Now best guesstimates please

68 foot bog standard colecraft with isuzu 42 or whatever it is so my guess is 17 x 11 or thereabouts?

Anyone got a similar hull etc and anyone got a prop they no longer need that I can purchase?

Cheers

Tim

Are we allowed to ask how this happend.....promise no sniggering etc.....

Cheers

Gareth

Yeah laugh.png was entering castle Lock going downhill on the Nottingham Beeston canal gave some backwrads jobby on the engine to slow when nearly in and a humungous and I mean humungous log tried to surface under the prop, all over in one second and when I left the lock boat didnt sound quite how it should if you know what I mean so off with weed hatch and yup one extensively redisigned proppelor. Hey ho poo happens.

Tim

Ouchy.....at least it didn't jam the prop and wreck the box...mounts etc.

It doesn't help you but the crowthers prop I fitted was at least twice the thickness of what you find in most swindlers...they call them canal grade!

Not saying it still wouldn't have suffered but we are quite deep draughted and there has been some quite horrendous clonks where we have hit stuff.....and on the last blacking there was a slight scratch and a miniscule notch on one blade.

They aren't cheap but might be worth thinking about. Massively reduced vibration compared to the old prop too!

Cheers

Gareth

Ouchy.....at least it didn't jam the prop and wreck the box...mounts etc.

It doesn't help you but the crowthers prop I fitted was at least twice the thickness of what you find in most swindlers...they call them canal grade!

Not saying it still wouldn't have suffered but we are quite deep draughted and there has been some quite horrendous clonks where we have hit stuff.....and on the last blacking there was a slight scratch and a miniscule notch on one blade.

They aren't cheap but might be worth thinking about. Massively reduced vibration compared to the old prop too!

Cheers

Gareth

Hi

Yes my last narrowboat had a crowther and twass moocho chunkier than this flimsy thing. I may splash the cash and get one they certainly are a much better option than these standard chandlers offerings.

Havnt had a proper look to see if anything else was damaged but dont think so because went another mile without problem and very little vibration, tiss worse in reverse.

Tim

Crowthers straightened a bent 17x 12 for me last winter. Completely out of true. Cost was £120.00 and took a week.

I enquired about a new Crowthers and was told £300 for same size

Thanks for that. In that case I am getting a Crowther, the chocolate toy ones such as I have fitted are about 180 quid so the extra is well worth it.

Tim

Thanks for that. In that case I am getting a Crowther, the chocolate toy ones such as I have fitted are about 180 quid so the extra is well worth it.

Tim

Good decision. We swapped our Aquafax, which bent like a Coke can, for a Crowther and have never regretted it. The difference in weight was amazing.