Hillmorton delays

c c

Featured Posts

I went down in march no problems volunteers only seem to do bottom locks .

Yes, if they are the same lot as we encountered last Autumn, they seemed more interested in sitting in their shed drinking tea than assisting boaters. One of them was quite rude, telling us we should have waited for an approaching boat to enter and use the towpath side lock rather than fill and use the already half full offside lock. He then went back into his little hut and offered no assistance.

And we awoke to an empty top pound plus folk complaining they could not open one of the bottom locks.

Say what you like about the repair team - you wouldn't know they had ever been there...........

A quick trip down to the Hungry Horse for Sunday lunch and a few pints this weekend allowed me to use all six locks and I found them all fine except lock 4 which was a bit slow to empty. However, parking five C&RT work boats on the visitor moorings on a bank holiday weekend seems a bit thoughtless. By the way has anyone any idea why an old painted wooden sign attached to the canalside wall of the Hungry Horse (Old Royak Oak) states that Braunston is 1.75 miles distant and Newbold 1.5 miles? According to CanalPlanner the distances are 5.7 and 5.0 respectively.

Guess What

After all that repair work, the bottom lock is closed again, with pretty tape fluttering in the gale, awaiting a repeat.

So its back to one side open only but thankfully the weather is keeping the numbers down.